Wellness

The Best Healthy Study Snacks to Help You Survive Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Ever find yourself feeling hungry as you study? Since you can’t ignore the constant cries coming from your stomach, you decide to eat something. But before you grab that bag of chips, try considering something healthier. Here are some of my favorite healthy, study snacks that are affordable and yummy, and will help you focus on crushing your finals.

1. Apples, Bananas, and Oranges

Fruit is one of the cheapest and healthiest ways to help you study. A pound of apples or a bunch of bananas can cost as little as a dollar. Apples are a rich source of many vitamins including Vitamin C, which helps your immune system. Bananas are full of potassium and fiber and are 100 calories per serving.

2. Greek Yogurt

This is one of my absolute favorite study snacks. Greek yogurt is very high in protein and low in sugar and will keep you satisfied for a long time. It is also very versatile; there are so many flavors to choose from, you can change it up from vanilla to strawberry, blueberry or raspberry. You can also add granola or honey if you are craving something a little sweeter to satisfy your hunger. 

3. Whole Wheat Crackers or Pretzels

A lot of brands of chips or crackers may contain high levels of fat and added sugars. With certain brands of whole wheat products, you are able to avoid extra calories but still receive the benefits of filling your stomach and allowing you to focus. You can also enjoy this snack with hummus or another nutrient rich spread. A box of whole wheat crackers can cost as low as $3 and will last you a long time.4. Nuts

Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, etc. are extremely beneficial while studying. Nuts are made of good fats and are a good source of protein. One ounce contains 6 grams of protein and nuts can also be extremely versatile. Salted, unsalted, fancy flavors or just plain nuts can make this snack fun to experiment with. Just watch out for added sugars and other unnecessary ingredients. Nuts also come in large containers for as low as $6.

5. Peanut Butter

This is a college study snack staple. If you live in a dorm and you don’t have some sort of nut butter, what are you doing? You can spread any type of nut butter on a piece of bread, or on crackers. It also pairs greatly with fruit and vegetables like celery. My favorite way of eating peanut butter is with a spoon. I know, sounds gross, but trust me, it’s amazing. With a 40 oz jar only costing $5, imagine how many fun snacks you could make. SO MANY. The possibilities are endless.

6. Dark Chocolate

My absolute favorite study snack is dark chocolate. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the more beneficial it is for you. But also remember, “everything in moderation.” Dark chocolate can help with the increase of endorphins in your brain, improving your overall mood and willingness to work. An entire bag of dark chocolate costs just over $6. Catch me buying 5 bags next time I’m at the store.

With finals approaching quickly, you may feel like you don’t have time to take breaks, especially to eat. These snacks will help get you through the late-night hours, but make sure you take the time to sit down and have a full meal. It’s worth the hour to rest your brain and fuel your system.

Good luck!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.