books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

6 Ways to Power Through the Mid-Semester Drag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

We’re about halfway through the semester with only 7 weeks left before winter break and while that’s beyond exciting, it’s also discouraging because we still have 7 weeks left of projects, exams and homework. The mid-semester period can be the hardest to push through because the drive that you had coming into the semester has all but faded, yet your parents are still pressuring you to earn A’s and finish out the semester well. Here are 6 ways to stay motivated and finish the semester with a bang.

List your goals for rest of the semester

If you want to get all A’s by the end of the semester, great, if you’re just trying to graduate at this point, that’s also great. Write down all your goals for the remainder of the year, whether it’s as simple as being more active in class discussion or the more challenging feat of landing a 4.0 this semester. If you set goals for yourself and put them in writing, you’re that much closer to achieving them.  

Exercise, seriously

According to the CDC, regular exercise can boost your mental health immensely and as your mood improves, so will your motivation. So if you’re feeling sluggish, stressed or just unmotivated during the week, hit the co-rec for a therapeutic run or take a calming yoga class. Your body will thank you.  

Plan exciting weekends

When I feel like the year is dragging on and on, I tend to live for the weekends. While that might not be the best way to handle a long semester, it definitely encourages me to finish my work early. If I plan a fun weekend trip or have several activities to do with my friends on the weekends, I push myself to get all my assignments out of the way on Friday or by Saturday afternoon so I can relax and have fun.

Ask for help

I’m definitely still learning this lesson. As the semester comes to an end, homework and projects tend to carry more weight on your overall grade and when you’re ready for the semester to be over, it’s easy to put off these important assignments. Ask someone in your class to study with you or form a study group with your friends so you can share notes before a big exam. Plus, professors and TAs hold office hours each week to help you succeed as crazy as that may sound. If you attend office hours regularly, not only will you have less work than you would have if you tried to take on a task all by yourself, but your professor will appreciate that you take their class seriously and maybe even give you a little boost in your grade if you’re teetering on the edge come December. And that’s definitely worth it.  

Eliminate extra distractions

Don’t join a new club, commit to an intramural, start the new season of Gilmore Girls or do anything that will distract you from being productive while you’re already feeling unmotivated. And definitely stay away from the rabbit holes that are Tumblr and Pinterest while studying. Trust me.

Make studying more enjoyable

Create a study playlist with your favorite songs, reward yourself with a sweet Starbucks drink or have your favorite candy while you study. Do whatever you can to keep yourself focused, determined and happy while tackling midterms and prepping for finals.

We only have 7 weeks left to go collegiettes! Stay motivated and do your best, HCXO!

Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.