Your Wardrobe Guide To College Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Parties in college can be very obscure scenes of people dancing, nonexistent air conditioning and loud music. Most freshman enter college unsure of what the party scene is going to be like, and for some, it may even be the first time they’ve ever gone out to a party. So, before heading off to your first big night out in your college town, it’s important to know how to dress for the role:

1. Comfort shoes are your new best friend.

Here at Penn State, it’s protocol to get a little more dressed up than the house parties you’re used to back at home. Girls typically like to be dressed up to the nines in their favorite outfits to attract attention from a certain someone. Well, turns out we didn’t exactly choose the smallest campus in the world, and you’ll definitely be walking a good distance to whatever party you choose to attend. Wearing any type of shoe that has a platform to it will automatically assure comfort for the rest of your long night and help you feel less pressured to go home as soon as possible because your feet hurt so badly. For summer, fall and spring, try a platform sandal or wedge. As for the end of fall and winter, when the temperatures are brisk, try a comfortable heeled bootie to accent any jeans you decide to wear that night. With comfortable shoes, you can take on all the walking you want all night long!

2. Wear clothes that make you feel good.

If you look at Instagram posts or the outfits of other girls going out, you’ll probably feel pressured to show a lot of skin or wear clothes that you wouldn’t feel comfortable in. If you feel comfortable in a shirt that covers your stomach and arms, wear it! If you feel comfortable in showing all that skin, wear it! Every person is different, and you should never lose sight of your comfort level when choosing clothes to wear.

3. Prepare for the heat.

Whether you’re at a fraternity or an apartment, there’s a big chance that the party you’ll be going to will have little to no air conditioning or fans. Parties are extremely warm with all of the bodies contained in one room, and you definitely won’t be comfortable in a long sleeve top and jeans. An idea that a lot of girls use (including me) is being able to bring a jacket you don’t like (or going to Goodwill to get one) and wearing it to the party. Then, when you get to the party, try to find a couch or piece of furniture to hide it behind so nobody takes it. That way, you’re cozy on the way, and not overheated when you get inside. When it comes to makeup, always make sure to use some sort of setting spray to assure your makeup doesn’t sweat off by the end of the night. Nothing worse than looking like a raccoon when you get back to your room!

4. Have fun with your wardrobe.

Here at Penn State, you’ll see a lot of girls wearing similar tops, skirts and even shoes. The most compliments I’ve ever gotten at a party here in State College has been when I’ve stepped out of my comfort level and worn an article of clothing nobody’s seen before. I choose to make my party outfits something I can have fun with and can look forward to wearing at the end of the day. Be yourself and wear something that you like, even if you fear others won’t do the same. Everyone loves a unique outfit, so have fun with it!

At the end of the day, remember that the most important thing is just being yourself. Good luck, collegiettes!

Ally Moore is a Political Science & Print/Digital Journalism major at Pennsylvania State University, University Park campus. She is a sophomore involved in greek life on campus. Ally came to Penn State from Orange County California, and loves to spend time at the beach, visiting New York City, and visiting new places on the east coast. She can usually be found online shopping, making unnecessary Trader Joe's runs, and watching movies on Hulu.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.