harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Won’t Stay Sad Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Ah, winter. With it comes the start of second semester, hot chocolate, snow, fuzzy scarves, warm blankets, and…depression?

If you start to feel depressed or tired during the winter, you’re not broken. In fact, 10-20% of people experience this feeling, according to American Family Physicians. These winter blues are known as SAD, or seasonal affective disorder. It’s totally normal to feel low when temperatures begin to fall. However, there’s no reason to suffer with your symptoms.

Coping strategies are something used to get through difficult times in your life, when sometimes you just can’t pick yourself up. Not all skills work for everyone, but there are literally thousands of skills to choose from – it’s okay to not know what works for you.

To try to help any of you who may be feeling low this season, I’ve created a list of skills specifically for college students to hopefully help you get out of your winter funk. Don’t worry: I promise you’ll get through!

1. Color

2. Read

3. Bake

4. Talk to a loved one

5. Cry

6. Explore your campus

7. Take a nap

8. Take a walk

9. Hang out with friends

10. Find a new place on campus to spend time or study

11. Plan a game night

12. Do your makeup

13. Exercise

14. Go to an on-campus event

15. Find things to look forward to

16. Do crafts

17. Go (window) shopping

18. Explore new hobbies

19. Journal your feelings

20. Remind yourself that it’s only temporary

I know there are only 20 skills listed here, but there are tons of resources for more if these don’t work. Even just googling “coping skills” will provide you with more than you could ever think of.

Don’t let winter bring you down, collegiettes. Just remember that you’re strong, powerful, and independent – you’ve got this!

Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.