What to Do to Get Through a Bad Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Bad days are just one of those things that happen to everyone. Nothing is more disappointing than when you have a day where everything goes wrong and all you want to do is shut yourself in your room and cry.

While bad days are inevitable, there is no reason why you should let them control your mood and your actions. There is always time to turn a day around into a better day whether it’s 10 a.m. or 10 p.m. Some of my best days have come from when I turned my bad day into a good day. 

Bad days will always be a thing, but there’s always a way to to turn it around. That’s why I thought I would share with you all some of my tips for getting through a bad day.

Write Down Why

I’ve always found that getting to the root cause of my bad day helps me to get through it. Sometimes it’s because I did poorly on an exam or something didn’t go as planned.

Whatever it may be, I find that taking five minutes to jot down why I am having a bad day helps me to not only calm down but also get to the root cause of why I am having a bad day. There are sometimes when I don’t even realize why I am having a bad day until I write down my thoughts.

I am a huge advocate for writing things down because oftentimes, we are unable to vocalize our thoughts to their full extent, especially when it comes to feelings of sadness or anger. Try writing down why you think you’re having a bad day the next time you start to have one.

Make a Plan

If you are able to pinpoint the cause make a plan as to how you are going to resolve the issue.

Let’s say you did poorly on an exam that you thought you had studied enough for, plan to talk to your professor during office hours and ask how you can study better. Or maybe you are having a bad day because you didn’t get the job or internship you wanted, be proud of yourself for the fact that you even applied and keep trying.

If it’s not something that can be fixed instantly or easily, just attempt to develop a plan. Even if you don’t stick to it, it will still help you to feel better because at least you have some control. Bad days come from feeling like you have no control and by making a plan, you’ll take back some of that control.

Allow Yourself Time to Do Something You Love

Watch an episode of your favorite show, paint your nails, go on Tik Tok for 30 minutes, whatever it may be, give yourself time to do something you enjoy. You deserve to enjoy time to relax and feel better after a day that seems endlessly horrible.

I also like to put my phone on Do Not Disturb during this time unless I am expecting an important call or text so I can enjoy my activity uninterrupted. I can say that even during the worst of days, giving myself time to enjoy something makes me feel a lot better.

Even if I have an assignment due that I need to work on, I find that I can’t work when I’m upset so allowing myself to calm down makes me more productive. I highly recommend engaging in an activity you enjoy when having a bad day.

Try to Resume Your Day

This might sound like it’s a hard task, but I believe in trying to go back to your routine even in the midst of a bad day if you are able to.

Sometimes, there are days when I am down for the count and nothing can make me want to leave my apartment to resume my day however, I try my hardest to resume my day after taking some time to cool off. I find that going back to my day with a new mindset tends to make it better and sometimes I even have a better day than normal when I go back to my day.

If something else happens that makes your day worse, at least you tried and your comfy bed is always there for you to wallow in.

Remind Yourself that It’s a Bad DAY

Don’t let a bad day define the rest of your week or the rest of your month. Bad days happen to everyone and for the most part, they are temporary.

You have so much going for you and don’t allow a bad day to cloud all of the hard work you put in. Tomorrow is a new day with so much opportunity so, with the slate clean, you could have a much better day. Try not to allow the feelings of the bad day to roll into the next day or else you’ll find yourself having another bad day.

I am not the most positive person but I find that trying to go into the next day with a better mindset will help make that day better. Not to be corny but it’s a bad day, not a bad life.

Obviously, bad days are not preventable but they are treatable. Using these tips, I am able to get through most bad days or turn those bad days into good days.

To fewer bad days and more good ones!

Reese Bernstein is a senior at Penn State majoring in Psychology with a focus in business. She is from "right outside" of DC in Northern Virginia. Along with writing for Her Campus, Reese is a member of a sorority and occasionally goes to the gym when feeling motivated.