Wellness > Mental Health

Ways to Actively Reset and Recover Your Mental Health This Thanksgiving Break and Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This semester has been incredibly stressful for most Penn State students. This is the first year that Penn State seems to have fully “bounced back” from COVID-19, which means more activities, more extracurriculars, busier schedules and all in-person classes (many with no Zoom option). We desperately need these upcoming breaks, and we desperately need the time to rest and recover before launching ourselves back into schoolwork.

The problem with Thanksgiving Break specifically is that it’s only one short week. One short week to rest before we come back to arguably the busiest, worst part of the semester: the last weeks of classes and finals week. So, how can you effectively relax and reset over this short break so that you can do your best in the next two weeks?

Here are a few ideas to help you actively focus your mind on something that has nothing to do with school. Take the time to yourself over break to recover. You deserve it.

sleep

This is what I’m looking forward to the most. Rather than tossing back and forth for four hours trying to sleep in a twin bed, sharing a room and knowing that I have to wake up at 5:30 a.m. for work, I’m going to spend Thanksgiving Break stretched out in my queen-sized bed for eight hours, enjoying the peace and quiet.

Wherever you are going this Thanksgiving Break, please take the time to catch up on sleep. Your body can only function on four hours of sleep a night for so long, so use the free time to make sure you hit your eight or more hours a night. I promise you’ll notice a difference in your mood, physical health and brain capacity. When you come back to school for finals with lots of good, natural energy rather than caffeine-fueled jitters, I promise your studying will be much more effective.

read

Reading is a great way to engage your mind and focus it on something that has nothing to do with school, extracurriculars, work or anything else in your life that may be stressing you out. There’s no greater escape than putting on a pair of headphones, listening to instrumental music, and curling up on the couch with a blanket and a good book. Webster’s Bookstore Cafe in downtown State College has some really wonderful used books for a low cost if you want to pick one up before you head home. I’ve found some gems for as low as $3.

watch tv

Give yourself permission to be lazy over break. If you’re an overachiever who consistently overworks yourself like I am, this is difficult, but it’s okay to allow yourself a break. There are lots of great TV shows out there to catch up on! This is your chance to just enjoy mindlessly watching something with no stress. I can’t remember the last time I watched TV without having Canvas open on my laptop, so I’m very excited to spend at least a day of break bingeing nothing but old comfort shows and maybe a few cheesy Christmas movies.

visit family—or Don’t

If you have a positive relationship with your family, spending time with them can be a great way to reset and recover! Sit around a cozy Thanksgiving table, catch them up on the last few months of your life at college, and enjoy spending time surrounded by loved ones.

However, if you have toxic family members or people that you’re dreading seeing over break, remember that you don’t owe them anything. You’re in college, you’re an adult and you don’t have to visit anyone you don’t want to. Even if it means spending Thanksgiving alone eating takeout, do whatever you need to do for your mental health.

exercise

In the wise words of Elle Woods, endorphins make you happy. Don’t stress yourself out about working out and sticking to the schedule you might have set for yourself at school. However, if it is something you have time for and think you’d enjoy on a lazy mid-afternoon, go to the gym! Or, if you’re heading back to your town where you don’t have a gym or a membership, pull up a Zumba/Pilates/Yoga YouTube video. This is a great way to get your mind and body in unison and to tune out all of those intrusive thoughts.

take a day trip

Liberty Bridge
Original photo by Macy Miskiewicz

Take a day trip somewhere! Drive to a local city or town and spend the day walking around, trying new restaurants and enjoying the scenery. Even if it’s somewhere small like a local coffee shop or movie theater, get out and do something fun just for you. I’m personally excited to head to the tree farm and pick out a Christmas tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Make plans but make sure they’re just for your enjoyment, with no stress and no requirements.

cook or bake

Cooking as a student is undeniably stressful. Trying to meal plan, find the little bit of time throughout a week to cook and struggling to afford groceries is so difficult. But, when you have lots of time to cook whatever you want to cook, it can be really fun. You also have the time to bake! I love to start making Christmas cookies over Thanksgiving Break and take my time making meals that I usually don’t have the time to make at school.

Whatever you do this break, make sure you do it for yourself. A little bit of productivity is good for people, but it does not have to be stressful. Let this week be a time for you to do whatever you want to do. We all need it right now.

Emma is a third-year Elementary and Early Childhood Education major at Penn State University. When she's not writing, you can usually find her singing, reading, painting, going on walks, hanging out with friends/her incredible boyfriend, and drinking iced chai lattes. Outside of Her Campus, Emma is the President of the Penn State Singing Lions, a Students United Against Poverty Ambassador, a member of the Phi Eta Sigma honors fraternity, and works at an after-school program.