Tips and Decorating Contest against Ohio State

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all know that PSU girls have amazing style, so how does your apartment or dorm stack up against other collegiates?

We’re kicking off fall the right way, and channeling our unique styles in our dorm rooms, new apartments, and new houses. A fresh year is a fresh chance to get creative, and express yourself – which means decorating the space you live in to match your personality. A lot of times, there are restrictions on painting the new place that you call home, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t great alternatives to dressing up a bland wall.

Decorations

Wall hangings are a great way to add texture and pattern to a boring white wall, and to create a cozy space that you can center your room around. Picking the right colors are essential to making sure your living room, bedroom, or kitchen are places you look forward to coming home to at the end of a long day on campus. There are a ton of sites you can check out for affordable tapestries, one of our favorite’s is Urban’s apartment section.

Creativity without Destruction

You probably don’t want to break out the power tools and the hammer if you do want to get your safety deposit back – and we all know that a little extra cash is always a good thing, think of how much more experimental you can be at Starbucks next semester with a little extra padding in your wallet? Getting creative doesn’t have to mean a lot of ugly holes in the walls that you (or your landlord) will later regret. Consider trying WallPops – a great artistic alternative for non-permanent decoration. These are decorations you can peel-and-stick onto walls and windows. The fact that they are removable and reusable means that you can swap them out from time to time if you get bored, or mix and match different patterns and styles. WallPops are a great way to spice up any space, and you can even find some inspiration over at the WallPops blog for great design ideas.

Less Really is More

Small spaces can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your style. Remember that keeping your space free of clutter is important to maximizing the space you do have, try to be organized with storage boxes that can be hidden under your bed or consolidated in your closet. Every inch counts, and you can make the most of your spatially-challenged new home. Think cozy, not cramped!

Contest

If you’re really proud of the space you’ve creative and want to show off your style and get a shot at winning a $100 value of WallPops, make sure to get involved in the contest they are hosting through September 20. This month, WallPops has chosen PSU to rival Ohio State because let’s face it – they can recognize girls with style when they see them. Make sure to follow WallPopsWallArt on Instagram, and upload pictures of your stylish room with the hashtag #WallPopsRivals for your chance to win. Let’s show Ohio State that football isn’t the only thing we can beat them in! Hey, a little friendly competition is healthy – especially in the name of style, right? 

Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.