Four Diamonds THON
Four Diamonds THON
Erin Campbell

THON™ Weekend Survivor Guide

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a Penn State student, THON™ Weekend is our Super Bowl. With over 16,500 volunteers working consistently throughout the year, it is a special weekend for us all that we look forward to year-round.

For those unfamiliar, THON™ Weekend is a 46 hour dance marathon that raises money for childhood cancer through the Four Diamonds Fund.

Consisting of no sleeping and sitting, the Bryce Jordan Center flood with dancers, THON™ committee members, captains, directors, organizations, Four Diamonds families, donors, alumni and so many other important people that help create the magic of THON™ Weekend.

As a THON™ committee member for the past three years, and now a captain for my final year, I feel qualified to craft together a THON™ Weekend survivor guide for any volunteers participating in THON 2024. Let’s dive in!

REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE

This is an absolute must.

When you are on your feet this much, you will get dehydrated very quickly. With water filling stations all over the BJC, fresh water is accessible at all times and easy to access.

Hydrating before the weekend is key as well. Make sure you are drinking at least 2 “Stanleys” a day, ladies.

Perfect for THON!
COMFORTABLE SNEAKERS

46 hours in no joke. Let’s be real, my feet hurt when I stand for more than two hours. A good pair of sneakers will get you far into the weekend. The ones I recommend are the Hoka Bondi 8s.

Hoka Bondi 8

These sneakers offer so much cushion with every step and allow your feet to feel like you are walking on clouds. The last thing you need during THON Weekend is to be is uncomfortable. They may be a little pricey, but so worth it in the end.

FANNY PACK

Some may say they are out of style, some know how to still style them. No matter what, don’t worry if you look cool with one or not at THON™ Weekend.

You will see many volunteers walking around the BJC with fanny packs around their waist. It acts as a home for little snacks, candy to keep your blood sugar up, your phone and other trinkets like tennis balls and fidgets.

This way, you have all you need for your shift at all times.

A lot of volunteers wore a Lululemon belt bag like this one, either around their chest or waist.

SLIPPERS/ SLIDES

You do not want to be in the same shoes for all 46 hours. Changing your shoes will make you feel like a brand new person with each shift you tackle.

Since you will already be bringing sneakers, perhaps a shoe with different textures a material will help your comfortableness all weekend. Something my roommate got me for this year were the Cloud Slides.

These have alleviated any pain I had while walking and really helped me feel like a brand new person each time.

(P.S. Amazon has great dupes.)

Overall, these are really great tools to keep you feeling your best during THON™ Weekend. You got this and I will be rooting for you all 46 hours!

Emily Gladu is a fourth-year studying Advertising and Business at Penn State University. In her free time, you will find Emily watching any Philadelphia sports team or catching a flight to her next adventure! She loves to catch up on the latest fashion trends & discover new music!