“The Hunger Games” is Trending Again, or Should I Say, Catching Fire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The odds were certainly in our favor this month! All of “The Hunger Games” movies were just added to Netflix, causing the series to start majorly trending again.

I adore this franchise and the fact that the films are now so accessible to watch. All four films from the franchise have even cracked the Netflix Daily Top 10. My entire For You Page on TikTok has turned into discourse about the films and edits of the characters.

Discussions ranging from how “The Hunger Games” relate to our current standing with society to how each seemingly small detail in the movies was so cleverly crafted are bringing a lot of attention back to the franchise.

Like me, many have taken to Twitter to express their profound love for this Hunger Games “renaissance.” It seems like we’ve missed “The Hunger Games” and the dystopian genre as a whole.

I could rewatch this series a million times and never get tired of it. I truly believe that “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” is the best movie sequel, and I will stand by that statement. All four movies had me and every other fan wanting to be great at shooting a bow and arrow, something I definitely have not excelled at.

I believe that a big part of why these movies were added was not only because of the 11th anniversary of the debut of “The Hunger Games” in theaters, but also to drum up discourse about the franchise and expand the fanbase.

Suzanne Collins’ prequel to the series, “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” will be getting a film adaptation and is set to be released this November. This franchise will finally be returning to the big screen for the first time since 2015.

In “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” we get an origin story for President Snow, one of the primary villains in the series. We see 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow mentor Lucy Gray Baird, the female tribute from District 12. All he wanted his one shot of glory with the chance to mentor the winning tribute, and the odds turned out to be against him.

This story is compelling and allows us to better imagine what post-war Panem was really like during the 10th annual Hunger Games. We get an insight into how one’s environment and upbringing influence our fundamental values and actions. H did President Snow become the villain we all know and hate?

I, for one, cannot wait to see Rachel Zegler as Lucy Gray Baird and Tom Blyth as young Coriolanus Snow. The supporting cast also sounds amazing, with Hunter Schafer, Viola Davis and Peter Dinklage. November 17th cannot come faster!

Sadly, these first four films will only be available on Netflix until March 30, so make sure to watch them while you still can. I’ll be here rewatching the movies and manifesting a trailer drop for “A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” soon.

May the odds continue to be ever in our favor!

Hannah Workman is currently a sophomore at Penn State University studying psychology and journalism. When she's not writing or being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Hannah loves listening to music, reading, and spending too much money on concerts and Starbucks!