This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Seasonal affective disorder has only been diagnosed in 5% of adults in the United States, according to the American Psychiatric Association’s website. Although this seems like a small percentage of the population, its symptoms are common and hard to diagnose.

Seasonal affective disorder, also known as SAD, seasonal or winter depression is considered a type of depression: Major Depressive Disorder with Seasonal Pattern. Common symptoms of SAD include feeling sad, loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed, changes in appetite, feeling worthless or guilty, difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions or thoughts of death or suicide.

These symptoms can vary in intensity and they can be similar to major depression, but the difference between SAD and major depressive disorder symptoms is that they occur typically during the fall and winter months, and improve during the spring. A small number of people with SAD can experience these symptoms during opposite seasons, but it is uncommon.

If you find yourself experiencing the symptoms of seasonal depression, but you do not have access to be properly diagnosed, here are some tips from Mayo Clinic to surviving seasonal depression in college.

Let The Light In

The first thing you should do in the morning, if you suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of SAD, is open your window blinds and let the light in.

Symptoms are exacerbated by a lack of sunlight, so on the rare winter days with a lot of sun, you should try and enjoy it.

Try To Catch Some Vitamin D

Whether it be taking oral Vitamin D supplements, or spending more time outside, research done by PubMed Central shows that Vitamin D deficiency may be associated with mental disorders. Taking supplements can be a more precise way to measure your Vitamin D intake.

However, simply going outside can increase your Vitamin D levels, and it could be a great method to take in more Vitamin D if you’re experiencing SAD symptoms.

Establish an Exercise Routine

There are several ways to establish an exercise routine outside of simply going to the gym. If you’re unsure of how to use exercise equipment it can be discouraging to try and set that as your exercise goal.

Try a workout class first — they’re scheduled, easier to hold yourself accountable to, and they come with instruction. If you don’t have access to a gym, there are health influencers like Alexis Ren or @urbvnfit on Instagram that provide free at-home workouts for any skill level or supply set.

You don’t necessarily have to schedule more time to exercise, though. Taking the longer route on your walk to class or home can provide benefits as well. Exercise can also help to improve your sleep routine, which in turn can help you to manage SAD symptoms.

Build a Reliable Sleep Schedule

Sleeping at reliable times every day can improve your overall health, which can then improve your body’s ability to fight SAD symptoms.

Try to avoid that coveted after-class nap and instead opt to do your homework while it’s still light out.

Seasonal depression can be debilitating and negatively interfere with day-to-day interactions. It’s important to acknowledge that you’re struggling in order to receive help.

If you feel like you’re experiencing the symptoms listed above, reach out to your physician and see if you can come up with a treatment plan for the winter.

I'm Xandra Adams-Dennis, I'm a third year digital and print journalism major with a digital media trending analytics minor. This is my first year writing for HerCampus. I'm from Mount Pocono, PA, I'm 20 years old and I love writing. I love to crochet and binge tv series in my free time.