This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Florals for spring? Groundbreaking. Disclaimer — I will never not start a spring fashion trend article without the iconic Miranda Priestly reference. 

But today, sadly, I am not talking about the spring floral trends to look out for. Instead, I am discussing the color scheme of the season: pastels.

As someone whose closet consists of mostly neutrals (hence, my Love for fall fashion), I definitely needed to do some research on how to style these pretty pastels and break free of my color shy comfort zone. 

Here’s a list of pastel trends I’ve found-

Lilac Love 

I’m going to admit it, when my sorority informed us that we needed to wear lilac dresses for recruitment, my neutral-loving self shed a tear.

Purple is the color I have worn the least in my lifetime, mostly due to the fact I never really liked it. Yet, I had to swallow my pride and find some ‘pale’ purple. 

I ended up searching almost every store in my mall and finally, arrived at the sales rack at Bloomingdales. I purchased a lilac A-line dress that I didn’t quite love, but was content to have found a dress that color. 

As I wore it for one of the recruitment rounds, I realized that this color was not as terrible as I thought it was. In fact, the purple ended up complimenting my dark hair and green eyes.

I also saw my other sorority sisters sporting silk lilac dresses which sparked my fashion curiosity. 

I immediately imagined styling a lilac ruched dress with a pair of tall white booties, a silk lilac top underneath a blazer or leather jacket paired with white jeans. 

I am definitely excited to start wearing some more lilac this season. 

Baby blue 

If purple was the color I wore the least, blue was a close second.

But baby blue is a color I wouldn’t mind trying as I think it would compliment my hair and eyes as lilac did. 

Specifically, I’m excited to try a baby blue bathing suit this season. How good would that color look with a tan?! 

My hunt for the perfect blue bikini begins now.

Pretty in Pink

I know I wear mostly black and white so many don’t believe me when I tell them my favorite color is pink. So, a pastel pink is going to be a fun color for me to style this summer. 

I definitely want to style a pastel pink oversized button-down tucked into denim jeans for a sweet and classic look. 

I also want to step outside of my comfort zone and try pairing pink with a bold red. I’ve seen some fashion influencers do it and I’ve always commended them for that color blocking moment. 

Stay tuned for the update.

Gorgeous Green

I have seen pastel greens everywhere this season. From satin dresses to knitted sweaters, light green has made its come back in the fashion world. 

This color goes with everything— leather, denim and almost every color. 

Personally, I have a light green belted blazer dress from Princess Polly that serves some serious boss girl moments and when paired with black booties, makes me feel the most confident.

If you’re like me and tend to gravitate towards the neutrals, don’t worry. We can embrace this colorful spring together.

Even if it’s pairing a colorful crop top with black pants and a blazer, you’re stepping outside your comfort zone, taking a risk, and deserving of a style award. 

A new season means trying new things and pastels are one of them.

Hi! My name is Brooke and I am a junior at Penn State! I am currently studying Advertising and Public Relations with minors in French and History. I have an incredible love for fashion and I hope to one day fulfill my dream of working in the fashion industry.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.