So Your College Cancelled Your Spring Break and You’re Experiencing Major Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Being home for yet another semester of my college experience has taken an unanticipated toll on my wellbeing. While I am still hanging in there, I can feel the screws loosening. I have also genuinely not felt this tired in so long. 

I did not think I would miss spring break as much as I currently do, but I would give up just about anything for a measly five consecutive days off this semester. 

If you’re looking for a sort of make-shift spring break, keep reading for some ways to make a “wellness” day, every day.

Genuinely — go outside.

I cannot emphasize the power a single ray of sunshine has. For people in central Pennsylvania, when it should regularly still be about 40 degrees, this 60 degree weather we’ve been having recently is everything. Do not waste it! 

For my friends with highlights in their hair, it is also the perfect time to lighten them up and avoid paying for a toner appointment.

Try aromatherapy

Essential oil diffusers are even more calm-inducing than having a deadline moved back. Okay, maybe not, but they are definitely up there. 

Not only do they fill up your room with scents of bottled-up love, but they make you feel fresh and fun! I am that person that constantly smells like lavender essential oil. 

They also help to relieve stress and anxiety, soothe joints, and improve sleep. 

Read a book. Paint with friends. Essentially, engage your mind besides school. 

My friend actually gave me this great advice that actually made me want to read a book. If you’re spending all your time thinking about a certain thing, it’s no wonder why you’re always exhausted.

Balance is key, and that means allowing time for yourself to use your brain on other engaging activities like reading, or for me, playing the ukulele. You can feel good about doing something productive, while also doing something that is letting you relax and feel at ease.

Practice mindfulness. 

Mindfulness meditation can be really life-changing if you dedicate your time and let it. In my BBH 311 course with Dr. Laura Klein, she perfectly emphasized this, and it has stuck with me since. Although it was for an assignment, it was one of the kinds that she created to be an easy grade and to genuinely help improve our lives.

Simply going over a few things everyday that made you happy does wonders to ground you and remind yourself to take one day at a time. Life isn’t a race — slow down and take that time to prioritize your mental wellbeing.

When in doubt, dance party it out. 

It’s also a great, fun, and easy exercise to get your heart rate up and your stress levels down. If you need a mental break, I strongly encourage it.

I hope these strategies help you get through the last few weeks of the semester!

I am currently a Junior at Penn State studying Biobehavioral Health. Besides school and writing for Her Campus, I love all kinds of music and am currently learning to play the ukulele! In my free time, I love to play with my dogs as well as watch my favorite shows, New Girl and Glee.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.