danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

The Process Of Looking For Internships, Memes Included

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

At this time of year, you’re either set with an internship for the summer, waiting to hear back from a company or frantically looking for last minute places to apply. The majority of you can definitely relate to these emotions and steps you go through while going through this process.

Start looking.

It might be early or perfect timing to start looking for internships, and you are typing away on your computer looking for the best internships to apply to.  You are just researching to see what is out there and what you quality for.

Start applying.

You have your resume ready and have an idea of the places you want to apply to.  If you are someone like me, you have applied to 80 internships and are excited to hear back from hopefully a lot of them.  

The waiting game.

Now, your applications are in.  For most of them, you don’t know if you will even hear back. It is a time to do nothing and just wait it out.

Rejections.

You keep checking your emails on a daily basis and hear back from some companies…but they are rejections. It can be disappointing but you won’t get a yes from everyone, and you might be like most people and only get an offer from one place!

Interviews.

While hearing back from many companies, you are also gonna be asked to participate in an interview. Get excited because this is the next step to getting a summer internship. Whether you like the company or not, interviews are a great way to practice and gain experience.

Waiting part two.

Now, you have to wait a week or so to hear back from the person that interviewed you. It probably went well but you are still anxiously waiting to see if you will actually get the job.

Offers.

You’ve heard back from the people interviewing you, and have gotten an offer or two. This is when you have to really consider your options and think, is this the place for me?  While deciding on my options, I really considered the amount of experience I would get over other stuff like the location and whether it is paid or not.

Accepting.

After you have accepted an internship, just sit back and relax until summer comes. Get excited because you have a plan for the summer and it is going to be awesome! Get ready to go shopping too!

Grace Catlett is a senior at Penn State University where she is pursuing a Public Relations major with a minor in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Management. Since her freshman year, she has been very involved with her sorority, Delta Gamma. She was the director of social events for Delta Gamma and loves event planning! While she loves social media and public relations, her dream job is to become a wedding planner. She also loves fashion and is a TV show enthusiast.
Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team.