This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Penn State University has once again found itself in hot water. Much like previous times of trouble, the institution is dealing with the repercussions of failing to appropriately handle its own Title IX procedures and students’ accusations of sexual assault. Once again, the school has demonstrated a less than adequate response to matters of sexual misconduct in an attempt to protect its image, rather than doing what is right and what is just, which would simply protect their students and members of their community. 

For years now, Penn State has been trying to regain its image after the university’s reputation was tarnished in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal. Almost ten years after the start of the investigation, the university has proven that they did not learn from their unforgivable actions, as they continue to neglect the protection of their students.

During their investigation, the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) found the school to be in violation of Title IX guidelines during the 2011-12 academic year at their University Park campus, as well as multiple commonwealth locations. It was also found the university failed to appropriately respond to sexual misconduct reported by students and staff during the 2016-17 academic session. Along with this, the OCR’s investigation also stated that during the 2019-20 academic year, Penn State’s Title IX policies failed to give students and staff a clear understanding of the procedures that would take place to ensure a fair investigation. 

Due to this continued negligence, the Department of Education (DOE) has now ordered that their Office for Civil Rights would be overseeing new procedures that would determine how the university would deal with future allegations of sexual assault and misconduct. So far, it is only known that this revision will be directed by the OCR and that the university will be required to reconstruct its record keeping and documentation of student complaints of sexual assault or misconduct. 

The university has continued to fail their students during these trying times. They are delivering empty promises of protection and care. As an institution, they offer multiple services for students that are supposed to aid them in the instance that they are sexually assaulted. However, after learning the severely failed response to individuals complaints, it makes you wonder about the validity of these services. It raises questions about whether or not these complaints or accusations are ever reported or even taken seriously by university officials. It draws concerns about how safe the campus really is, it makes students wonder if their safety and wellbeing really is a priority of the university. It raises the question of when the university will, in good conscience, deal with these types of issues appropriately. 

Penn State has proven time and time again that they are more concerned about having a pristine image than hearing and appropriately dealing with the safety and protection of their students. As someone who is a part of the Penn State community, it is clear that this has never worked for the institution and that they need to seriously readjust their priorities.

Maggie is a Sophomore at Penn State University, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. She is from a small town in South Central Pennsylvania, aka the middle of nowhere. When she is not acting as an Assistant Editor for Her Campus PSU you can find her watching sitcoms, perfecting her skills as a barista, and spreading the word about the importance of gender equality! You can find her on Instagram @maggie.mattson and Twitter @maggiemattson13.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.