Kayla Bacon-Girls With Beanies
Kayla Bacon-Girls With Beanies
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

New Clothing Obsession: Beanies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

“I’m obsessed with this, but I’m okay with it. And I think this is an obsession that doesn’t hurt anyone.”

Maybe it’s just the cold, or realistically maybe I just don’t want to do my hair, but I’m in love with beanies.

There. I said it.

It started off small, I had two that I bought from my job back at home, and they were just the cutest thing. One is blue and the other was a nice creme, and of course they both fit in with the PSU color vibe.

I wore them with some fits and eventually every other fit had a signature beanie. At that time I wasn’t too worried about anything, it was for the fit. That was all.

Butc that was before I fell asleep in one.

I could blame it on the studying, the sheer exhaustion of what college entails for its students, but I went to sleep knowingly wearing a beanie.

It went downhill from there.

I decided to check out the site called Carhartt (yeah many of you guys may know it, the very one), just to take a look.

I ended up ordering six beanies in the span of two days. I honestly just blame the spending problem for that one.

But I realized I had problem when I could sleep in them, wear them to work and just wear them at anytime and anywhere.

They just somehow complete everything. I think I should take the full blame, but my own mom was once obsessed with beanies, so could it be genetic?

I now have eight in all, colors ranging from black to a lime green (favorite color is green so I had to buy), as well as another blue one. With the urge to buy more being prominent I fear my bank account is taking the brunt of everything.

Yet I haven’t even asked the most important question, how will I even wear these in the spring, let alone in the Florida summer heat?

The answer to that is, maybe I won’t. Or maybe I will because who can go wrong with an exceptional beanie to compliment the outfit?

Even in Florida, I don’t think I’ll look too weird.

Either way I have come to terms with my problem, and yet I still see no solution in sight. At this point I am researching whether being obsessed with an article of clothing is considered a problem that needs a therapist asap.

I have never been a big hat person, the few hats I do own have been accumulated through hand-me-downs and thrifting, and yet I rarely wear them.

Yet beanies, whether it’s the soft material or just the comfort they might bring, aren’t the same as hats and I stand by that fact.

My friends and my roommates all think I have a problem but believe that finding something you really like isn’t necessarily a problem, its just the newest thing you love.

So to all the beanie lovers out there, keep rocking them, and also let me know where you get them from.

I need to grow my collection.

Elonie is a sophomore currently attending Penn State as a journalism major. When she's not busy, she's curled up starting Netflix shows she'll never finish.