Wellness

My Struggle to Find the Perfect Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Everyone wants clear, non-oily, radiant skin. 

For every woman, this is one of the many steps to growing up — finding great products that will produce these results. 

Finding the perfect skincare routine requires a lot of trial and error until you find that one product that works wonders on your skin — then it’s game over. 

My search for skincare products started in middle school when I began to notice frequent breakouts. At the time, it didn’t phase me to look into face wash, so I just used whatever my mom bought me at Target. 

Her Campus / Megan Charles

The first face wash I used was Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. It was good, but to be honest I didn’t know what good was because this was my first time using any face wash product. 

Looking back, I would not use it again. It made my face dry, and I didn’t feel like I was getting a deep clean in my pores.

When I reached high school, I decided to try some new products. I began with Clean & Clear Morning Burst, paired with Dual Action moisturizer. Both products were not complementary to my skin as I still had bad acne and my face was so dry. The moisturizer burned my skin, so I immediately picked up my phone and searched the web. 

Target

I was online for hours, reading reviews and learning more about skincare products. Finally, I decided to stick with Clean & Clear and try the Acne Triple Clear Exfoliating Scrub. WOW. 

This was it — cool, refreshing and oil-free! This was the face wash I needed. It gently exfoliates and fights breakouts in three ways — removes pore-clogging oil, treats breakouts while soothing skin, and helps prevent pimples. 

In addition, I purchased Clinique’s moisturizing lotion. This product is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone. It leaves my skin soft and hydrated. 

Clinique

The bottle also lasts over a year, even if you use it twice a day. To top it off, I use florence by mills Zero Chill Face Mist. This rose and lavender scented spray hydrates and refreshes your skin, plus it’s designed by Eleven!

A holy trinity — Clean & Clear Acne Triple Clear Exfoliating Scrub, Clinique moisturizing lotion and florence Zero Chill Face Mist. These products saved my skin and will continue to do so.

“It’s all about the climb” as Miley Cyrus would say. No matter how challenging it may be, you will find the skincare products that work for you. 

McHalea is a freshman at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Marketing. She is eager to learn and get involved, as she is also a member of Happy Valley Communications. She loves comedies and spending time with friends and family.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.