This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at West Chester chapter.

My personal Super Bowl, better known as the Grammys, announced their nominations for the 2024 ceremony. I haven’t seen too much press on this year’s nominees, even though there are multiple historic moments compared to previous years. 

Scheduled to take place in February, the Recording Academy announced that some big names are competing for the major categories.

SZA leads the pack with the most Grammy nominations this year. Coming out with nine nominations in more than one leading category. Her release of her album SOS was at the end of last year, giving her listeners enough time to solidify their taste for the album, and enough time for the public to acclaim it. 

Albums released earliest in the nomination window are typically at a leg up because they have enough familiarity with the crowd, plus enough time to chart and stay popular. However, this is only the public perception – Grammys aren’t awarded based on popularity or how many people know and like the songs. SZA was able to seal both with her album: a well-made production made the record with great public acceptance. 

Women dominated the nomination pool this year, overtaking almost the entirety of the record-of-the-year category. Billie Eilish, Boygenius, Miley Cyrus, Olivia Rodrigo, SZA, Taylor Swift, & Victoria Monet are all competing for record of the year as well as Jon Baptise, a winner from last year. Song of the Year and Album of the Year are both bursting at the seams with female energy as well. 

Not only are these categories overflowing with women, but younger artists are also lingering in the categories. Ice Spice, Billie Eilish, and Olivia Rodrigo, all younger women who are breaking into the industry, are now Grammy Nominated. 

The Grammys have a history of not typically nominating women, but this year, it was undeniably a year for the girls. 

The Grammys have a history of not typically nominating women, but this year is undeniably a year for the girls. 

Taylor Swift, as always, breaks records in the nomination categories, with seven of her songs now nominated for Song of the Year – surpassing Lionel Richie and Paul McCartney who have had six in the category prior. 

With hopeful winners also come the misses of the recording academy. Mitski, who released her album The Land is Inhospitable And So Are We just before the end of the window received no Grammy nominations. This isn’t the first of her snubs, as she has submitted her albums and singles in the past and none have made it past the ceremony. 

Lana del Rey has had some snubs in the past but has come through with several nominations and a hopeful ceremony to come. 

Alvvays received a nod for best alternative performance, but as someone who saw them in concert earlier this year, it’s safe to say they deserve more than a single acknowledgment.

With the celebration of the 50th year of hip hop, we additionally have a diverse rap category this year. Rap duos soared this year; The Hillbillies, a song by the rap duo of Kendrick Lamar and Baby Keem, as well as Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj for their song in the Barbie movie are all up for nominations in the rap category. It is a tight race for rap album of the year with Drake and 21 Savage’s joint album, Metro Boomin, and Travis Scott each nominated. 

Overall, it is a promising list of nominees for the 2024 Grammys. And somehow, Jack Antonoff will take everything once again. Tune in to the Grammys on Sunday, February 4, 2024, to see who takes the top spots. 

Olivia Karczewski

West Chester '26

Olivia Karczewski is a sophomore at West Chester University working towards her bachelor’s degree in media and culture and earning a minor in journalism. In her free time, she likes to read as well as listen to (tons) of music. She loves to yap about Dominic Fike, what she's currently reading, or last nights hockey game.