This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There’s no denying the debate that certain artists were robbed in the 2024 GRAMMY nominations. The one thing we can recognize, however, is the plethora of female nominees in major categories. 

On November 10, the Recording Academy revealed their nominations for the 2024 GRAMMYs, which will be taking place February 4th of this upcoming year. The GRAMMY Awards are a televised ceremony that recognizes honorable achievements and individuals in the music industry. 

Originating in 1959, the GRAMMYS have held a chokehold on lovers of music. Yet, throughout the ceremony’s history, awards have fallen mainly into the hands of male candidates, with the occasional female artist. This is why this year’s demographics of nominees is one for the books. 

Deemed as a male dominated business, the music industry can be discouraging, manipulating and patronizing for women artists. In many cases, it feels as though society is fighting them in criticism, whether it be against their look, sound or persona.

Seeing the outpour of female nominees is equally refreshing as it is ground-breaking for all aspiring women artists. This is not to say that past, iconic female artists haven’t gotten the recognition they deserve, but rather that they haven’t been allotted the full space to flourish. 

Especially in categories such as Record of the Year or Best New Artist, it feels as though women must compete to claim that one coveted, female spot. The 2024 lineup of nominees, however, sets a new standard. A standard that legitimizes women musicians as being more than just a pinch of spice on a plateful of men. 

Our girls are coming in hot. SZA is setting the bar high with nine nominations, one of which being Record of the Year for her album “Kill Bill.” She is the most decorated nominee of the 2024 pool. Right behind her, Phoebe Bridgers and Victoria Monét sit with seven nominations. 

It is also exciting to see new artists, such as Ice Spice and Gracie Abrams, be ushered into the sphere and given the platform to launch their musical presence. Coinciding with such, Best Pop Solo Performance entails an all female list, featuring Miley Cryus, Doja Cat, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo and Taylor Swift. 

In a turn of events, BoyGenius has taken on Best Rock Performance with their track “Not Strong Enough.” This is extremely forthcoming, considering the genre of rock has been predominantly headed by male bands. There is also a strong sense of empowerment in seeing four females as nominees for Best R&B Album. 

Boygenius embraces in celebration as the indie band received several nominations including Best Rock Performance.

Although categories such as Producer of the Year and Best Rap Album are still heavily male dominated, it is still so inspiring to witness these ladies finally take the driver’s seat. 

Moving forward, there should also be a push for better representation of females working in production and behind the scenes within the music industry. 

This new chapter for female artists is one that should continue to grow. It calls for a celebration of all woman musicians, both new and old, to relish in the ability of taking ownership and flipping the narrative. 

The 2024 GRAMMY nominees represent more than just numbers and awards, but the true beauty and power of a woman’s creative mind. Young girls of rising generations are now allowed the confidence to embrace their voice and share their artistic capabilities, as they now know that someone will listen.

Brooke is a first-year student at Penn State University studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends + Analytics. When not writing for Her Campus @ PSU, she is always down for a beach excursion, afternoon picnic, or thrift trip! Beyond such she’s a musical girl at heart, classic rock and disco are her ultimate favorites :) Constantly looking to radiate positivity, Brooke loves to be involved in her community & school. She is an avid advocate for Mental Health and pushes to bring about such awareness through the power of writing. As a panelist of Her Campus, she anticipates making memories and forming longlasting bonds with this wonderful group. She hopes her pieces prove to be a safe space for all to feel welcomed, loved, and freed to share a smile :)