Meeting Sue Paterno: A Dream Come True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

My love for Penn State is unbelievable. For as long as I can remember, my Saturdays were spent with my family watching Joe Paterno take the field, followed by his team. Year after year, it was always the same. You knew when August came around that Penn State football would be there. Not saying that I completely based my college decision off of the football team, but Penn State football changed my life. I’ll never forget walking into my first game at Beaver Stadium when I was 10 years old and truly understanding what it means to have school spirit. The experience was mesmerizing — being so infatuated with Penn State football. With the feeling that overcomes me every time I am in Beaver Stadium, it’s pretty understandable how much respect and admiration I have for Joe Pa and his wife Sue.

I had the opportunity to independently dance in THON 2017 and it was the most indescribable experience of my life. Every dancer gets to pick a “wish” for THON weekend. Something attainable that their DRCM (Dancer Relations Committee Member) can help them achieve THON weekend. I knew if I had the opportunity to dance, I was going to make my wish to meet Sue Paterno. Having no idea if she’d even be there, I was set on making that my wish.

After the pep rally on Saturday evening of THON, I was stretching toward the back of the floor with a couple of other dancers. As my friend reached his arm back to stretch, his hand whacked a woman in the face. We were all quick to apologize, and as I looked back to see the woman.. I realized it was Sue Paterno. I was in awe. She walked right by me and I put my hands over my mouth because I could not form any words. It was bad. After that fiasco, my sister and her boyfriend finally made it onto the floor. I told them what happened with Sue and had everyone I knew on the floor on the look out for her.

About 20 minutes later, my friend Harrison (a former Her Campus cutie!) texted me saying, “Sue Pa is breaking it down in front of the stage.” I RAN to the front of the stage. With my sister standing next to me, I quickly introduced myself to Mrs. Paterno and asked her for a picture.

After we had the picture taken, I frantically scrolled through my camera roll to show her the picture of my boyfriend and I dressed as an iconic picture of her and Joe for Halloween last year.

The reaction she gave me was much more than I ever expected. Her jaw dropped and she gave me the biggest smile. My sister apologized to Sue for me being delusional, but I knew exactly what I was saying! I hugged her goodbye and thanked her and her family for all they have done for Penn State.

Onward State released an article a couple of days after THON about my experience with Mrs. Paterno. Somehow it made its way to the Dean of the Libraries, Dean Dewey. How the heck she saw it, I’ll never know! The Assistant to the Dean, Wendi Keeler, emailed me to let me know that the Dean saw it and about the Paterno’s involvement and push for the expansion of the library. Hence the name Paterno library. She also invited me to come meet the Dean and take home some posters and bookmarks from the Paterno’s READ campaign. I love Paterno memorabilia, so I said absolutely to the invitation. Wendi emailed me again saying a time when would work to come by the Dean’s office and told me they may have a special guest. My heart sank.

I waited anxiously in the library for about an hour before I was supposed to be there, because I did not want to miss this opportunity. I went over every scenario and possible conversation that could happen, which none did. I was beyond nervous to not be delusional around her/have that as an excuse for why I’m so awkward!

After talking to Wendi and Dean Dewey for a few minutes while waiting for Mrs. Paterno, my nerves definitely calmed. They were a couple of the nicest women I have ever met. (Obviously, considering they set up time for me to meet them with Sue Paterno.) Then it happened! The one and only Sue Paterno walked into Paterno library. Funny enough, she was coming to the library from the football building, which was so inspiring to me. She was in the football building pleading the case of Haddonfield  high school senior Jason Garstkiewicz. Garstkiewicz is a member of Haddonfield’s football team who lost his right leg to cancer. He now has an artificial leg and has always dreamt of going to Penn State and being involved with the football team. After everything she has been through the last few years, Sue Paterno is still so involved. I actually cried telling my mom that.

Meeting Mrs. Paterno was everything I ever dreamt. She was funny, genuine and constantly smiling. She has been one of my role models since I was a little kid, and having the opportunity to sit next to my hero after years of admiring her was something I will never forget.

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.