Wellness

It Is Okay To Take a Break From Your Fitness Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

One of the worst feelings I have ever had to deal with was the feeling of losing the progress that I worked so hard for. I have recently felt so defeated because I cannot stick to a workout routine as I have in the past. If you work out consistently every day, you may understand how difficult it is to break this routine. 

For me, it wasn’t easy to start this routine of working out every day. I started working out consistently during the pandemic, and that was the start of a routine that I had never had before in my life. I was so strict with myself and felt like I needed to work out every day to see the change I wanted. When I was unable to work out, I put too much pressure on myself to the point of it being unhealthy. 

I have concluded that it is okay to miss a week of workouts. This is not as bad as some people make it seem. It is so difficult to assume that each week will look exactly like the other. I love to stay on top of my goals, and my goals are the result no matter how long that may take. 

I want to give a few tips to people who beat themselves up about missing that workout or eating that brownie. First of all, never beat yourself up for anything. You are not going to lose all that progress you have made from one brownie or one missed workout. 

Many people in my life struggle to face this reality. Exercising should not be something that you dread to do each day. It should be something that brings you a form of happiness that you look forward to accomplishing in your daily routine. 

This school year, I have been focusing on myself and my fitness differently than I did last year. My meals are not as healthy, and I am sometimes not able to go to a workout class every day, but I am proud that I am still adamant about pursuing my goals.

One thing I hope to never lose is my drive to stay healthy and exercise. The pandemic has brought me this habit of constantly wanting to be productive and healthy. I am grateful for this outlook because it is something that I never faced when I was in high school. So far, it has shaped me into a healthier and happier person.

This is also something that the people in my life like to focus on as well. It is very important to have a team to help aid you in accomplishing your goals. My roommates, friends, and family are all influenced by this healthy lifestyle. It is so much easier to work out with a friend or make a healthy meal with your parents than it is to do it alone. Hold each other accountable, but don’t forget that an off day is okay!

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.