I switched to a men’s razor for silky, smooth legs (and I’m never going back) 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all know the feeling of taking (so much…) time to shave your legs, stepping out of the shower, and feeling like you didn’t even shave.

This was happening way too often to me while I was using women’s razors. Now, not to say they are all like this, but honestly, the majority of them don’t give you a very clean shave at all. 

They just don’t cut it. 

I noticed other people talking about this exact problem on social media, and many of them said the same thing as the solution: just buy a men’s razor. 

I was hesitant for a while because you know, society is trained to stick to the “gender norm” and use products that are marketed at one target sex, even if the counter provides a better alternative. 

I tried them all. Billie, Venus, Bic. They just don’t do it for me.

On the other hand, they’re prettier to look at than men’s razors. Seriously. But I’ll take a cleaner shave any day.

So, anyway, this started about 2 years ago when I needed to replace my razor. It was just getting old, and I was sick of not feeling smooth for long after shaving. 

That’s when I remembered my brother leaving a brand new, unopened Schick Hydro 5 razor under my sink from months ago when he came to visit.

So, naturally, I took it. 

I opened it and immediately noticed that it had much less “gel” on the razor head itself, which is what I believe to be the culprit of not getting the closest shave possible while using women’s razors. 

Companies add gel strips to razors in order to provide both moisturizing and lubricating benefits. Some even have added vitamins, like vitamin E, or even oatmeal to soothe the skin. 

Even though these benefits sound great, to me, I would rather have a closer shave. That way, my legs are smoother, for longer. 

The blade placement also has a lot to do with a closer shave as well. In men’s razors, the blade distance is tighter compared to women’s, in order to cut through thicker hair. 

In addition to smoother legs, men’s razors prevent cuts better than their counterparts, due to increased motion abilities in the head of the razor. 

According to huffpost.com, “Because men’s razors are made to navigate around the chin, neck, nose, and cheekbones, they tend to be more sensitive to the curvature of your body so every hair can be easily reached.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gillette-venus-shaving_n_57fba8b3e4b0b6a430340ea6

Here’s what I do to achieve silky, smooth legs that last for days at a time.

I normally start with a Tree Hut scrub to exfoliate. This Vitamin C scrub is my absolute favorite; it smells incredible. 

Second, I lather up with shaving cream. I like the Target “up & up” brand best, but really, any kind works. 

I start at my lower legs and make my way up, making sure to go over each area twice with firm, yet gentle pressure. 

When I get to my calves, I normally shave in a slanted direction because of my hair growth pattern. Following your hair pattern is huge in getting the closest shave possible. 

By far, the most important step is moisturizing right after the shower.

I know, I never shut up about it, but I absolutely LOVE the EOS Shae Better Moisture Body Lotion. It is SO long-lasting and by far the best drugstore moisturizer I have EVER tried. Plus it smells phenomenal. Win-win. 

You deserve to have soft and smooth feeling legs.

Allison is a senior at Penn State University, studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, you can catch her cooking, making coffee, reading or staying updated while watching her favorite YouTube vloggers.