This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Sleeping is not as easy as it should be. Especially with all the stressors in life, sometimes it’s almost impossible to sleep through the night. Whether you’re up all night or tossing and turning, bad sleep can really affect your mental and physical health.

Bad sleeping habits can lead to a ton of health issues such as heart disease or depression, but don’t worry, there is a way to fix it. Here are a few things everyone can do to have a restful night, based on my personal experience.

Go to Bed and Wake Up at the Same Time Everyday

I know it’s hard, especially in college, but establishing a stable sleep cycle is so crucial. Try to go to bed and wake up at similar times every day. This way, your body will get used to it and know when it’s time to sleep, and when it’s time to wake up.

Take Supplements

I’ve recently started taking magnesium and ashwagandha to help improve sleep. Ashwagandha is believed to lower cortisol levels, which is a huge reason people don’t sleep well. Magnesium has been known to help with insomnia, falling asleep fast and staying asleep throughout the night.

Always consult your doctor before adding any supplements to your routine.

Stay Away From Your Phone

This one is by far the hardest, but it might actually be worth it. The blue light found on our phone screens and TVs are very disruptive to sleep. Try to shut off your phone at least an hour before bed.

Instead of doom-scrolling, try doing some self-care. A face mask or some eye patches are a great way to calm down before you call it a night.

Try Breathing Techniques

When all else fails, sometimes all you can do is breathe through it. Whether it’s taking slow, deep breaths or trying the 4-5-8 breathing technique. Studies have shown that one of the best ways to wind down is breathing.

Cherry Juice

I haven’t tried this one yet, but people say drinking tart cherry juice before bed helps you sleep. Tart cherry juice contains tryptophan, which helps your body produce melatonin, which then helps you sleep.

A ton of people swear by this one.

Podcasts

A lot of the time before bed our minds are racing. Sometimes laying in bed in the dark can make you spiral a bit. To help drown out your thoughts, put a podcast on.

I’m a big fan of Crime Junkies (but that may be a bit morbid for some). Try listening to the Get Sleepy podcast, it always makes me fall right asleep.

Keep Yourself Busy During The Day

A huge reason people don’t sleep well is because they aren’t burning enough energy during the day to make them tired. Even if you have nothing to do, go on a walk, clean your room or have a dance party. Anything you can do to get active during the day will help you sleep better at night.

These are just a few ways to sleep better, but everyone is different. I’ve found that a combination of all of these things have helped me sleep through the night.

Sleep well!

Julia is a Junior at Penn State University studying Telecommunications and Media Industries with a minor in History, she is also Her Campus at PSU's Secretary! She loves all things trendy and pop culture, and hopes to work in the media industry in the future!