This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When I have a bad day, I tend to have it carry on into the night and stress about how upset I feel. Therefore, I use different things to help myself calm down at night. 

These tips help me calm down and relax when needed.

1. Putting on an oil diffuser

I always put my oil diffuser on when I feel distressed, because the slight smell of lavender or eucalyptus in my room can make all the difference. It also has different colored lights on rotation, making it therapeutic to watch or have in the background when doing work or watching TV. 

1. Cute or comfy clothes

Putting on either cuter or comfier clothes can make all of the difference depending on how you are feeling. If you just got back from class in jeans or leggings and a sweater, put your comfy joggers or pajama pants on and take some time for yourself. Also, if you are in a pair of sweats and feel lazy, put on maybe a pair of jeans or leggings and a sweater and be more productive.

1. Bedroom lighting

I believe lighting in your bedroom can be one of the most influential factors to my mood. I never keep the overhead light on — I always have my twinkly lights on and keep the curtains open for natural light.

1. Calling your family — even ones you don’t always here from

This may sound stupid, but calling a family member you don’t talk to daily can turn your day around. Whenever I am upset, I will call my grandma or my cousin, and it is so nice to talk to someone you love but don’t hear from every day. After that phone call or text, I feel so grateful to have people that love me in my life. It can completely change the vibe of the day.

1. Putting on an old movie

Throwing on an old movie you watched all the time when you were younger can just make the day more lighthearted. My favorite movie, still to this day, is The Lizzie McGuire Movie. Yes, the one with Paolo. Whenever I feel my day needs a boost, I will put this movie on my TV like I haven’t already seen it a thousand times (because I bought it on iTunes, I know) or play it while I do chores. 

I am a junior at Penn State from Annapolis, Maryland. I am involved in greek life and THON.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.