This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Have you ever sat down and binged 10 straight episodes of a Netflix Original and felt amazingly refreshed afterwards? If you answered yes, it’s okay, there’s no judgment here.

eup 108 04292019 ec 01031 14246?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
HBO

Now imagine how much more fun you had during “Euphoria” Sundays in 2022. Remember the excitement of tuning in at exactly 9 p.m. every week, having watch parties with your friends or just looking forward to kicking back and enjoying the episode by yourself?

Perhaps you remember when “The Summer I Turned Pretty” released a new episode every Friday from June through August. Imagine how fast you would’ve finished that show if they dropped it all at once. Personally, it would’ve entertained me for one day as opposed to a whole summer.

Maybe you’ve been enjoying tuning in to “The Bachelor” on Mondays lately. Doesn’t looking forward to it make your Monday more exciting?

Whatever it may be, take a step back and think about why all these shows are so memorable; it’s because watching them wasn’t just a way to pass the time, it was a whole experience. 

So let me introduce you to one of my favorite random implementations I’ve added to my life recently: I like to call it my Regularly Scheduled Programming. 

Basically, I create a lineup of shows, movies and genres I’m enjoying at the moment and write out a schedule that determines when those programs will be “on air” each week. It’s like ordinary cable television, except it exclusively uses my Netflix, Amazon and HBO Max accounts.

I’ll share my current TV rotation for inspiration. Right now, I’m working through “Shameless” and “Derry Girls,” as well as rewatching “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and tuning in to “The Bachelor” as it releases weekly. Here’s how I’ve been splitting it up. 

• Monday: “The Bachelor”
  • Tuesday: “Shameless”
  • Wednesday: “Derry Girls”
  • Thursday: “Avatar: The Last Airbender”
  • Friday: Wild Card (choose anything!)
  • Saturday: Movie Night (I’ve been loving 2000s Rom Coms for my movie nights lately)
  • Sunday: Wild Card

Of course, I allow myself to switch up the outline if I want to watch something new impulsively or if I’m randomly inspired to watch a specific movie or TV show. But for the most part, I’ve really enjoyed my Regularly Scheduled Programming and haven’t felt the need to stray from it.

This way of entertainment may seem strange and extremely “Type A.” To that I say: don’t knock it until you try it.

This schedule helps me from wasting time on streaming services browsing for something to watch, and I’m almost always in the mood to indulge in whatever I’ve outlined for myself that day. I don’t get bored of TV shows quickly or double-screen with my phone, because the series only “airs” once a week; I can’t miss it. 

Though I often watch more than one episode at a time each day, I’ve still noticed a reduction in my overall screen time after establishing this routine. I’m no longer switching between shows trying to find something I want to see, because it’s already laid out for me. I don’t let myself binge-watch and spend days at a time on a singular show anymore.

Movies and TV shows are one of my favorite ways to relax and end my night, or just entertain myself while I eat. I can’t recommend making yourself a little schedule enough; it makes television much more exciting and adds a novelty that usually isn’t there.

I find myself feeling so excited to watch all of my programs now, and watching just one or two episodes satisfies my excitement each week as opposed to binging the same show for three days straight and getting bored and tired of it. Or worse, finishing a series all in one day and then being left feeling empty and devoid of entertainment until another show piques your interest. 

So give it a try, make yourself a schedule and notice yourself become mindful and excited about media consumption. The worst that can happen is you ignore this suggestion and go back to your original ways. The best that can happen is you find a new way to make your daily life more exciting!

Alicia is a first-year student who is so excited to be joining Her Campus @ PSU! She is majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in digital media & analytics. Other than writing, Alicia loves all things fashion & beauty, painting, journaling, swimming, hanging out with her cats, and of course socializing. She thanks you for taking the time to read her articles!