free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Having an Internship is Worth It, Even If You’re Not Getting Paid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

This past summer, I had the pleasure of being a Communications Intern for a professional development soccer team, and I didn’t get paid for it. Seems like that would really suck, right? Well, it was honestly one of the best experiences I could have asked for at this moment in my life, in regards to approaching post-graduation. I didn’t need to be receiving any green for the work I was doing, because I was gaining knowledge and experience. I learned important information and skills that can’t be fully “taught” in a classroom setting. I will take the most valuable asset away from this past summer – working with actual professionals in the field I want to pursue.

This is a priceless experience to take with you when you graduate. You will have an example to live by when looking for a job. It’s important not to be so quick to “say no” to an opportunity just because it doesn’t have $$$ attached to it. College years are meant for you to absorb experiences and use them to your best ability after college. Internships are ways to develop contacts, connections and references. Not to mention, the kinks that will be worked through, just by taking a job on full force in a real-life situation. Internships can also be taken for credit, most of the time. This is a great way to make your time, effort and hard work count, even if you’re not getting payment for it.

Some of the best experiences can come from out of nowhere, but they are always meant to be. An internship that isn’t paid, may just be the exact job you’ve been needing to make a crucial decision in your career planning, or even just reiterate that you’ve chosen the right path. Take a leap of faith and trust in an experience, because the money will always follow in the future!

Erin Campbell is a senior at Penn State from York, PA. She is majoring in journalism with a minor in English. Erin is a member of Happy Valley Communications and hopes to pursue a career in the communications field.
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.