A Guide To A Cheaper Valentine’s Day In Happy Valley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Although some of us spend our Valentine’s Day staying in, eating chocolate and watching chick flicks, there are some of us who do have that special someone that we want to spend the night with. But, we are also college students. That means we are automatically broke. So this year, I’ve decided to come up with some cheap and easy fun dates that can be just as romantic.

1. Hiking Mount Nittany

Even if it is a bit cold, hiking is always something that’s a fun thing to do with a significant other or even your friends. Hiking Mount Nittany is not only free to do, but easy to get there. You just take the B-Cata Bus to get to the area, and there are two ways to climb, one a bit easier and one a bit harder. But it might be worth it if you can see the sunset from the top.

2. Going to the Movies

Dinner and a movie is one of the most classic dates that anyone can do, but if you go to the theaters, you’ll even get a discount for being a student. Whether with your friends or that special someone, the movies are a good option for anyone willing to go.

3. Having a Movie Marathon

On the topic of movies, this one doesn’t even require you to go out. Pick out a couple of good old chick flicks (or any movies, really), pop some popcorn and cuddle with your buddies in your dorm room or apartment. It’s simple, to the point, and bound to be a good time. I know I’ve done this enough that it’s always fun.

4. Visiting an Art Museum

The Palmer Museum of Art is a cheap way for students and their dates to enjoy a night of culture. It’s free to go to, and there are plenty of exhibitions around the building that are interesting to look at and talk about. For the couples and friends who want a bit more of night of thinking, going to an art museum is something for you.

5. Ice Skating

Going ice skating is a cheap way in Happy Valley for some friends or couples. Pegula Ice Arena is a large ice rink that has designated public skating time for anyone to ice skate for a little bit of time. The opportunity is pretty popular too, so make sure to arrive at a good time if you do chose to go ice skating.

6. Dinner in your Dorm

This is always simple and easy. Just order some takeout and stay in. I’ve done this enough times that it’s a monthly thing and it’s better than going out on a super cold night and freezing your butt off. A chick flick and some pizza never went so well on a day like Valentines Day.

7. Just Chilling

Who says you need to go out? Staying in your dorm with your friends or cuddling with your sweetheart is some of the most precious time someone can spend in college and in life in general. That’s when you talk about all the real stuff and get to know the others, growing those strong bonds. If you just feel like chilling, then do it. It’s a fun and relaxing thing to do.

Happy Valentines Day, collegiettes!

Alexandra is a senior at Penn State majoring in Digital-Print Journalism in the College of Communications. She is the assistant editor for Her Campus and loves everything else PSU has to offer her. She is involved with the Onward State, and would like to somehow benefit THON. Alex loves to write, sing, bake, and dance around like no one is watching. Alex is known to love her animals, including her cat, Grace, who isa little devil at the same time. Oh, and pizza. She loves pizza like it's her world. Follow her on Instagram for her craziness: allieramos1698
Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English.