This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When it comes to Penn State and football, we take it very seriously. From the moment you step into Beaver Stadium, to the screaming of the #107k strong fans, to buying your first chicken basket – a night in Beaver Stadium is impossible to forget. But, there’s always one thing that comes first before the games: the tailgate. Tailgates are often as much a spectacle as the actual games are. But for someone who might be new to the world of tailgating, it could be a bit intimidating. That’s why we’re here to ease you into those fun traditions:

1. Go with friends. I repeat, go with friends.

As fun as college tailgates are, there’s a keyword in there: college. It’s your first time stepping out into the real world, and as much as we love our school, it never hurts to go to events with people you can trust to be there for you.

2. Get creative with tailgate gear.

Yes, it’s a thing. Anytime you go to tailgates, you’ll have plenty of girls who have cut up a T-shirt to make it look cute or have converted old leggings into PSU ones. But the truth is, go for it. There’s no other time during the year you can get so creative with old T-shirts, so go ahead and cut it up. Turn it into a tube top. Those kinds of memories last forever.

3. Do your research (as in make an official tailgate spot.)

This might sound confusing, but let me explain. There are hundreds of tailgaters, from alumni to student organizations to fraternities to random people just there to enjoy the fun. We’re all there to cheer on our team and celebrate our school spirit together, but that doesn’t mean you can just walk up to any old tailgate. Be sure you make plans with a specific tailgate and that you know someone there. Otherwise, you’re at the risk of being kicked out. There’s really not a lot of beer to go around for everyone.

4. Don’t even go near Natty Light. Just don’t.

It’s the official college football tailgate drink (at least at Penn State.) At any tailgate you go to, it’s almost guaranteed that there will be Natty Light. But trust me, this is a beer you don’t want to drink. In my opinion, it’s the worse alcoholic beverage you could ever sip on. If there are other beer options, please go for it. You’ll have a much better time at the tailgate with anything else.

5. Eat food before and during the tailgate.

I can’t stress this enough. Eating food before and during a tailgate might as well be the most essential part of your day. Please, be sure to give yourself time to eat; you’ll thank yourself later.

6. Drink plenty of water.

If you’re going to be drinking at these tailgates, it’s only smart to bring water. Water helps prevent hangovers and will keep you from getting sick. Some of these games will be played on hot days, too, so you’re going to want to keep water by your side to stay hydrated. 

7. Play games and sing along to songs.

This one is really just a fun one. When you’re at a tailgate, it’s not always about Natty Light and betting on who’s going to win. Play some games with your friends, throw around a bean bag into a board, sing some Billy Joel, and scream your alma mater at the top of your lungs. It’s a tailgate for the school you love – might as well have some fun with it!

8. Enjoy it.

The years really do go by quickly at Penn State. I still remember my first tailgate as a freshman, and now I’m a junior. Enjoy these tailgates and these games while they last, because they will make memories that will last forever.

We Are!

Sophomore majoring in Psychology at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez. I was born and raised in Mayagüez and am a self-proclaimed food lover who loves coffee, reading, the ocean and dogs.
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.