Fridge and Pantry Essentials for Your College Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

1) Bread

White Bread
Christin Urso / Spoon

This is a pretty obvious one. Whether you want some toast in the morning or a sandwich for lunch, you’re going to need a loaf of bread around. Most loaves have 20-24 slices and cost about $2.00, so it’s definitely a cost-efficient necessity.

2) Frozen Veggies

Roased Veg
Christin Urso / Spoon

If you’re eating just ramen every day your body is probably mad at you for not getting something healthy in the mix. Fresh is obviously better, but you can’t beat the shelf life on frozen vegetables. Frozen vegetables also take up less space, which will accommodate you and your three other roomies all fighting for some room in the fridge.

3) Coffee

Best Buy

My wallet cries a little every time I add more money to the Starbucks app. A typical Starbucks order for me can range from $3.00-$5:00, however, making a cup at home costs 16-18 cents per cup. It’s smart to keep coffee in stock, especially if you’re like me and need multiple cups to function.

4) Pasta

https://unsplash.com/photos/12eHC6FxPyg

I know you already have this one, but I still thought I should mention it. It’s easy to cook, inexpensive to purchase, and delicious to eat. Pasta also has so much variety with different shapes and an array of sauces to choose from. 

5) Garlic

Garlic
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

A bulb of garlic costs about $1.00 and adds so much flavor to any dish. Add some flavor to your dressings, sauces, vegetables, meats, soups, you name it garlic will make it better.

6) A Few Essential Seasonings

Zero waste market, spices, spice bins
Chloe Tremain

I never think to pick up new seasonings at the store in fear of using it in one dish then having it sit around forever barely touched. You most likely already have salt and pepper, but try grabbing some cumin, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, oregano, or paprika to elevate the flavors of your meal.

7) Ground Meat

Ground Meat
Alex Frank / Spoon

This isn’t the most essential if you don’t eat meat, but if you do ground meat is a must. Ground turkey, beef, chicken whichever suits your fancy. I suggest ground meat specifically though because it has lots of versatility. Mold them into patties and make a burger or meatballs, add them to a multitude of Mexican dishes like tacos or burritos, mix them into your pasta sauce, the possibilities are endless.

8) Eggs/Egg Substitutes

Eggs
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Eggs in the morning are a timeless classic and a staple for baking. Other than being tasty, they are full of protein and nutrients and have so many nutritional benefits.

Having these foods on hand will make it easy to make a variety of dishes. Stock up your pantry this semester and happy eating!

Jackie Maese is a senior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications and Theater Studies. If she's not writing at her laptop, you can probably find her cooking up a masterpiece, petting a dog, or eating a New Jersey bagel.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.