This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Influencers: they really have so much power over me. From Instagram fashion gurus to the TikTok trendsetters, influencers are always promoting products, setting the standards and have become beacons of fascination. For me, I have fallen victim to seeing influencers on my feed and falling in love with their fashion. From Kardashians to YouTubers, influencers have gotten me to buy so many different pieces- some I have loved, others were disappointing. Here’s my list of fashion items influencers got me to buy! 

With Jéan’s Andy Dress

The ruched waist. The button down mini length. The velvet. The colors. Everything! This is the dress I have seen just about every influencer sporting recently. From Matilda DJerf and Stassibaby, to Madeleine Rose and Tess Christine, this dress has haunted me (in a good way). Each influencer made this dress look so beautiful, as it hugged all their bodies in the best way and their own reviews of the dress reflected this. The two colors: a maple and a green were so unique and like something I never saw before. So after seeing the 15th influencer sporting this dress, I decided to take the plunge and purchase. Except- my worst nightmare came true: it was sold out in my size.

Thus, I put my name on the waiting list, and mourned the loss of this precious treasure. Months later, I got a notification the dress was restocked. It was like a gift from above! I immediately purchased and finally was one with the influencers. The hefty price point was something I could get over, as long as the quality and dress itself lived up to its potential. And she did not disappoint! As soon as I slipped Andy on, I did not want to take her off! I went with the green, and I was so thankful I did because it bought out my brown hair and green eyes while the ruching gave me that hourglass figure. I styled my dress with tall black boots, and sported the ensemble on Thanksgiving (yes I was overdressed, no I did not mind). So, if you see this dress on your feed again (I will bet my life on it that you do), just know: it’s worth it. 

Are You Am I’s Sarei Sweater Set

If you know me, you know how much I love Are You Am I. Every piece I own from the brand sits very high on my list of fashion favorites. So when I saw Kendall Jenner wearing this matching Heather Gray sweater set- I needed it! Ribbed and backless, the Sarei sweater set was the outfit of my dreams: casual yet chic- the perfect combo for that model-off duty vibe I strive for.

Although I splurged a lot on this set (sorry bank account, blame Kendall!), it was clear as soon as I put it on that it was worth it. The material was so buttery soft and kept me so cozy warm while still remaining fashionable. I even paired it with my oversized black Aviator jacket and some white sneakers, and the look was by far one of my favorites ever. These influencers know what they’re doing! 

Simonett’s Sweater Sleeves

Danielle Bernstein wore sweater sleeves. So I wore sweater sleeves. WeWoreWhat is by far my favorite fashion instagram account to follow, Danielle’s looks are exactly how I aspire to dress. She’s always thinking of unconventional ways to style pieces and I take her suggestions very seriously. So when she continuously posted about these sweater sleeves- I knew I needed them. These sleeves are in a gorgeous white cable-knit fabric and they slouch so perfectly on your arms- and they have the ability to make any outfit just look so much better.

For me, I paired mine with a little white bralette and leather pants, and this look was a success. I received so many compliments, people asking me where I got my sweater and praises for the overall ensemble. And what’s even better is that these sweater sleeves did not break the bank, since they were under $100, but still made in good quality. Also, it led me to discover Simonett, a small-business fashion brand based in Miami who makes the most unique and stylish pieces that you will gush over. Supporting a small business while securing one of my most beloved pieces in my closet? Thanks Danielle! 

Inamorata Matching Biker Short Set

Emily Ratajkowski is one of my biggest style icons for her laid-back model style is something I try to mimic in my every day. So, when I saw she launched her own fashion brand, I was ecstatic. I saw her sporting this matching set in this gorgeous red color. The biker shorts seemed to hit at the perfect length above the knee and the crop top was a turtle-neck tank.

She paired her’s with white sneakers to run some errands, so I, of course, did the same. Although I do love this set, and Emily too, I am still indifferent about this purchase. Because of its vibrant color and also the fact I can’t wear a bra with it (not a problem, but that means I can’t wear it to workout), then the set is something I got to wear once. It’s distinctive style and color makes it hard to style the pieces separately, but I will continue to look for ways to try. Stay tuned! 

We all have fallen victim to influencers encouraging us to make a purchase. For me, it’s the fashion influencers that are constantly getting me to shell out cash to steal their style. Although influencers often get hate for being superficial or for their “easy” lifestyles, they are constantly inspiring me and giving me ideas to help my fashion and ultimately become a more confident and stylish girl. I hope you took away some things from my list of fashion picks influencers got me to buy, and purchase some of my favs. Does this make me an influencer now? 

Hi! My name is Brooke and I am a junior at Penn State! I am currently studying Advertising and Public Relations with minors in French and History. I have an incredible love for fashion and I hope to one day fulfill my dream of working in the fashion industry.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.