Wellness

Body Positive Influencers You Need To Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Influencers are everywhere. You can find them on Instagram, Tik Tok or even on Twitter. They post pictures of themselves, what they are doing in life or advertisements.

Some influencers are can be toxic, posting pictures that are so edited they don’t look real. These pictures can change the way that you look at your own body. This is one of the reasons why our generations and those after are having issues with body image.

It is hard to stay so positive about yourself when half of Instagram’s influencers over-edit their bodies and have unfairly good genes but unrealistic bodies. It is time for you to unfollow them and follow these natural, healthy-looking influencers instead. They scream body positivity and can slowly help you to become more comfortable in your own skin.

Logan Rae Hill: @loganrae_hill

Logan focuses her account on lifestyle and beauty. She posts outfit ideas, makeup looks, products she enjoys, pictures from traveling and different hairstyles she tries. She is so confident and encourages everyone else to be, too.

One of my favorite things she posts is her videos that show off perfect-fitting clothes for sizes six or eight. She has posted multiple of these videos on Tik Tok and Instagram that showcase the best fitting sundresses, jeans, professional pieces and shorts for those with her body type.

She also posts so many health journey videos on her YouTube that are relatable and entertaining.

Blankita Cisneros: @blankitaaa17

Blankita is a self-proclaimed booty queen. She posts workout videos for her followers to work out with, and she has put in a lot of effort for the body she has.

She is extremely confident, and you can tell from the second you go on her Instagram how proud she is of her body. Blankita encourages all of her followers to “love & flaunt” their imperfections.

She not only talks about hip dips and the correct way to lift weights, but she gets deep in some of her posts, mentioning her occasional lack of motivation, struggles with mental health and wanting to be “skinny” for the wrong reasons.

Abby Glasson: @abbygfitness_

Abby is such an open influencer. Her whole Instagram shows her journey of having a healthy body after struggling with her binge eating disorder and body dysmorphia on and off.

Many people suffer from body dysmorphia, and Abby shares her path so openly with her health and fitness goals in hopes that it helps other people cope with the dysmorphia on their own. 

Whitney Simmons: @whitneyysimmons

Whitney Simmons is the best. I have followed her for so long for her workout videos, but recently, she has been posting more about her skin condition. It is called psoriasis and causes her to have small, red, scaly rashes all over her body.

She posts her frustrations with it but encourages her followers to embrace themselves no matter what might be happening on or under their skin.

Izzie Rodgers: @izzierodgers

Izzie is a huge supporter of natural bodies and being comfortable in your own skin. She wants her followers to believe that all bodies are beautiful.

She is not ashamed of what one may consider her flaws. She flaunts her natural face with no makeup even though she struggles with acne. She has no fear of people seeing it, and she paints herself so realistically.

Along with a natural face, she also posts side-by-side pictures of her posed body and relaxed body. She emphasizes how it is still her body, but people on Instagram have a way of posing and editing their pictures to look more unrealistic.

Some younger people on Instagram may not understand that, so I wish more influencers like Izzie could step up to be healthier role models to younger generations.

Following body-positive influencers who embrace their flaws is so much better for our mental health. It makes me feel like I am not alone in any of my insecurities, which makes me feel so much better.

I genuinely believe my confidence has risen because of these naturally beautiful women, and I encourage anyone reading this to check them out and give them a follow.

Marlena is a fourth-year in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications at Penn State where she is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Psychology and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is so grateful to be at Penn State and loves learning more about communications, her peers, and herself every day. She hopes to use this knowledge and her own positive outlook to help others in any way she can.