Aerie Rolls Out Yoga Mats to Promote Body Positivity on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Since 2014, American Eagles Aerie has done away with retouching their models to push back against the “perfect body” expectation. On October 11, around 27 Penn State ladies rolled out their yoga mats “to take care of their mind and body,” Aerie Ambassador and Penn State student, Emily Chertow said. As an ambassador for Aerie Emily is able to host events like these that empower young women to embrace their bodies and themselves.

Just rolling out her yoga mat helps connect her to these girls in such an inspiring way. In reality, this event was just a bunch of girls doing yoga together, “but in the big picture played such a wonderful and special role and message,” Chertow said.

The message of Aerie Reals campaign is a powerful one, especially in an industry that has set their standards impossibly high for women. Aerie is giving girls like Emily, “the platform to voice how powerful we are, how beautiful we are and how the real you is good enough and even more,” says Emily. While we were busy embracing our body and all its beautiful imperfections, Emily stressed the importance of events like this yoga session because, “we are capable of whatever we set our minds to, but along the way it’s important to take care of ourselves as well.”

Hannah Bingham is a first-year student at Penn State University and staff writer for Her Campus at Penn State. Hannah is majoring in print journalism and is expected to graduate May of 2021. If you see her on campus she will most likely be holding Starbucks and planning her next outfit to post on her fashion Instagram which you can follow@pinkrosesbrowncurls or her personal @hannahh.bingham.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.