you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

8 Ways To Ace Your Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Fall is that time of year when students start stressfully applying to internships for the upcoming summer or even for real jobs for after graduation. It can be very overwhelming and that stress is magnified if you’re lucky enough to get an interview for the position you applied for. So, here are some tips for how to be successful during your interviews:

1. Dress appropriately

This one might be obvious, but don’t be that person who comes in totally under or overdressed for the job. Some fields have different versions of what’s defined as business attire, so make sure you know what’s expected of you – and if you’re not sure, just ask!

2. Do your research

Some companies might ask, “Why do you want to work for us?” Take five minutes to look at their website to get an understanding of what they do and find something that actually makes you want to work for them. They’ll be impressed that you’ve taken the time to look into their company and it’ll show that you’re serious about the position.

3. Bring your resume

Just in case they don’t already have a copy or they lost theirs!

4. Anticipate the questions

Search for common interview questions on Google and be prepared to answer them. Even make up some questions that they might ask that are different from what you found so you can be more prepared!

5. Practice

Don’t be this little guy. Practice how you’re going to answer the anticipated questions to make yourself sound more articulate and prepared. There’s nothing worse than answering a question and cringing as you talk because you don’t really know what you’re saying. Practice as many times as you need to sound professional and confident in your responses. It’s always better to be over prepared than under prepared! 

6. Ask questions

Everyone says that interviews are your chance to interview the company and ask them questions, too. After all, you’re the one who’ll be working there, so make sure you actually like the company you’re interviewing with. It’s totally fair for you to ask questions and it also lets them know that you’re interested and that you care.   

7. Follow up

Send a thank you note after an interview and reference what you talked about with the interviewee and what position the interview was for. Usually handwritten notes are the best way to go, if possible, because it’s more personal than an email.

8. Be confident

If nobody’s told you this yet, confidence is key. If you’re confident, it’ll reflect to your potential employer that you know what you’re talking about and can do the job well. If you’re not confident, then the company can’t be confident in you either – so, radiate that positivity!

With these tips, you’ll be on your way to scoring your dream internship or job. Good luck, collegiettes!

Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.