This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Just a little over a year ago, I was getting ready to start my freshman year of college. I felt excited, nervous, happy – but most of all, I didn’t know what to expect. It’s safe to say that I know how a lot of incoming freshman are feeling right now, so I decided to offer you some advice on what I learned during my experience as a freshman at Penn State:

1. The Freshman 15 is not a myth.

At first, I would laugh at people who told me this – and although I didn’t gain all 15 pounds, I did gain weight. Not having home cooked meals and having to eat from your meal plan (without any control over what you eat) will for sure take a toll on your weight. If you’re worried about this, I’d recommend going to the gym regularly, which I clearly didn’t, and trying to avoid any type of fast food during weekdays. 

2. It’s okay to feel lost and confused.

College is a time to reflect and grow as a person, so it’s totally normal to feel out of place occasionally. Don’t be discouraged by this feeling, though, and just know that you’ll find your place eventually. 

3. Changing your major isn’t a sin.

It’s a lot of pressure for an 18 year-old to chose what they want to do for the rest of their life, especially since, as mentioned in the last point, we’re all lost and confused at this point in our lives. When I first applied for college, I thought I wanted to be a criminologist, but when I took my first crim class I soon realized it wasn’t the career path for me. Instead of seeing this as a failure, I saw it as an opportunity – an opportunity to find something I’m passionate about.   

4. Don’t stress too much about your grades.

Sure, the goal is to achieve good grades, but one bad grade on an exam isn’t going to determine your future. It’s okay to stumble at the start, seeing as college is a big change. You just have to learn from these mistakes and work harder to achieve your goals for the future. 

5. Get involved.

Go to your college’s involvement fair and look for activities that interest you. Not only will these look good on your resume, but they’ll also help you adjust to your new environment that might seem overwhelming at first – especially if you plan on attending a big school.  

6. Making friends isn’t as hard as you make it out to be.

Almost everyone is in the same boat as you and looking to make friends. Don’t feel discouraged to approach a stranger and introduce yourself, because you never know when an awkward introduction might turn into a great friendship. 

7. Know when to say “no.”

Going out to parties every night from Thursday through Sunday might sound like a tempting idea, but just know that you came here to study – and sometimes it’s crucial to say “no.” Don’t get sucked into going out when you know you’ve got a big test coming up. No one will judge you for caring about your grades; you just have to stick to your values and know your limits. 

8. HAVE FUN!

I can’t stress this enough. College isn’t just about going to class and doing homework. A big part of the college experience is going out and socializing with friends, because after college is over, your real life begins and you’re going to regret not having fun while you could. 

I’m a current junior majoring in Journalism and French at Penn State. My dream is to work in publishing after college and go to law school to study corporate law. 
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.