Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways To Save Money In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I, like many other collegiettes, work a summer job to fund my terrible spending habits. After spending way too much money freshman year, I knew I needed to work as much as possible during the summer. I never thought I would spend as much money as I do attending college in the middle of nowhere, but because I do, I decided I needed to make changes to my lifestyle – so I came up with six simple ways to save money in college. Whether you live in a dorm or apartment, these tips can save you a lot of money over the course of the year:

1. Don’t eat out.

This tip is hard to stick to when going out to dinner is such a popular thing to do with friends. It’s also hard to do if you aren’t a fan of your school’s food. However, try to stick to prepping meals if you live in an apartment. Set a weekly budget and use up your meal points. Prepping meals will help you to avoid a jam, and setting a budget will teach you to stretch the value of a dollar. Treat going out to eat as an amenity, not a necessity.

2. Share clothes.

This is probably the easiest tip to follow. Living in such close quarters with people means you have plenty of closets filled with different styles to borrow. In both an apartment and a dorm, you’ll have plenty of friends to borrow outfits from. Another tip to keep in mind is that if you plan on ordering online, make sure you’re able to send items back that you don’t want so you can ensure your refund.

3. Search for cheap textbooks and rentals.

Besides tuition, college textbooks are one of the most expensive parts of college. By doing proper research and avoiding impulsive buying, you can find almost any textbook at a much cheaper price than your school’s bookstore. Renting books is definitely the best way to go when purchasing books, since you’ll probably never use the book after the semester ends, anyway.

4. Utilize campus resources.

Utilizing campus resources can save college students a ton of money over the course of a year. Almost all colleges offer free gym memberships, free transportation around campus, and free computer and printing resources. Using these resources will allow you to have extra money to save or spend on other necessary things.

5. Make your own coffee.

I get coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks every single day. I hate to admit it, but I’ve even gotten Dunkin’ twice in one day. After daily reminders from my parents to stop spending money on coffee, I invested in a coffee pot. It’s simple to use and makes a ton of coffee. Here’s a pro tip: I make a huge pot of coffee at night and refrigerate it overnight, and I take it with me in the morning and I’m good to go! (I’m a picky coffee drinker, so I swear making your own coffee is good!)

6. Look for student discounts.

There are so many stores that offer a student discount. All you have to do is look online and find a code, or show student ID when you’re in person. Stores that offer discounts include Steve Madden, Chipotle, Spotify, J.Crew, and Topshop.

Saving money isn’t fun, but it doesn’t have to terrible! With a little planning and responsibility, you can make your summer job money last all year long.

Jenna Silverblatt is a sophomore at Penn State. She is majoring in public relations with a minor in political science. She loves hanging out with her friends, listening to music, and taking lots pictures of her cat. She can usually be spotted with an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts in her hand. 
Samantha Grillo graduated from Penn State University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. She loves creative writing, pop culture and Penn State, all of which led her to joining the Her Campus Penn State team at the beginning of her freshman year as a contributing writer. In her free time, Samantha enjoys reading, watching her favorite TV shows, and catching up on the latest movies.