6 Things to Remember During Finals Week as Told by Parks and Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Finals week is the last obstacle to tackle before a month of rest and relaxation. This week presents challenges for us all.  Sleep is sacrificed to get through an extra chapter before your next nap and the coffee pot is working overtime. The stress that can build up during this time is enough to drive us crazy, but if you keep a few things in mind, you can get through it and enjoy a well-deserved break.

1. It’s not the end of the world.

Yes, it is important to work hard and do well on your exams but having repeated panic attacks about one exam is not worth the toll it can take on your body. In a few months, you will look back and wonder why you were so worked up over a small fraction of your school career.

2. Your best is all that you can do.

It is easy to feel regret for not studying as much as you should have or putting it off until the day before. When you are in the moment, there is no point in wishing that you had started earlier. Just get some water and a snack and focus on what is in front of you – do your best.

3. It is okay to look to others for support.

Parents, grandparents, siblings and friends are in your life for a reason. These people care about you and want the best for you, even if it means listening to you sob at 2 a.m. the night before a final and talking you through it. Call friends or family when you need to, and ask a friend to join you in the library to remind you that you are not in it alone.

4. You deserve to be here.

Even if you feel unprepared and incapable when you start to study, remember that you got into college for a reason. The university evaluated your application and determined that you have the ability to be successful and represent the school well. Your school is behind you, so do what you can and everything will be fine.

5. Your future IS bright.

Almost every college student has felt that they are a failure at one point or another. This feeling can creep in during finals week, but in reality, your future is still bright and just beginning to unfurl. You are smart and capable, and if you stick with it, you are going to go places.

6. It will all be over soon.

Without sacrificing the vigor you need to study, remind yourself that when you get through this, there is a well-deserved break waiting for you at the other end. You can enjoy time off with your favorite people, and you won’t even have to think about your finals because they will be in the past. Study hard, and reap the reward of a few amazing weeks of freedom. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.