Grid Paper?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Grid Paper?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Olivia Rodrigo Merch / Canva
Style > Fashion

5 Ways to Channel Olivia Rodrigo’s Style in Your Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Olivia Rodrigo is one of my favorite artists at the moment. Aside from her relatable, angst-driven heartbreak lyrics, I’ve found myself really enjoying her sense of fashion.

Rodrigo’s style has a vibrant and youthful feel to it, as it’s full of bright colors, fun patterns and stunning statement pieces. Her style is also very feminine, but often with some edginess to it.

I’ve been trying to get a better grasp of my own personal style, and Olivia is one of my biggest fashion inspirations. Here are five of the aspects of her style that I’ve been trying to work into my own wardrobe.

1. Printed pants

Printed pants are a staple when it comes to Olivia Rodrigo’s wardrobe. She’s worn colorful patterned jeans, floral jeans and zebra print pants for multiple photoshoots and events, including the purple zebra pants she wore for the Driver’s License merch photoshoot.

Pants with fun patterns are a simple and easy way to make your outfit instantly look fashionable. When you don’t have a lot of time or don’t know what to wear, any printed pants paired with a t-shirt or cropped tee is a great way to look stylish and put together.

2. platform shoes

I think heaven is actually just Olivia Rodrigo’s shoe closet. Every time I see new pictures of her, I see a new platform boot or heel that I need to have. From the bright red platform boots she wore while thrift shopping with Conan Gray to the stunning white platforms she wore to the White House, she really has a platform for every occasion.

A mini skirt paired with contrasting platform boots is a staple look of hers and one of my favorites to recreate. Platform heels are so fun to wear, and I swear they give me such a confidence boost because they make any cute outfit look so much cooler.

3. Faux fur/feathers

Some of my favorite Olivia looks include fur coats and dresses with bright feather detailing. Her Saint Laurent Met Gala look included feathery detailing, and so did her beautiful blue sequin AMA’s dress.

She’s also worn fur coats in many instances, including her Traitor music video. I think these types of looks are great for going out, especially bright colored feather trims at the top of a dress or on the sleeves.

4. Slip dresses

Slip dresses are such a staple, and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. They look great with heels, sneakers or boots and can be paired with a t-shirt underneath.

The possibilities with slip dresses are endless, and something about wearing them makes you feel so feminine and sexy, while simultaneously being super comfy.

There are so many different styles and patterns of slip dresses out there. Some of my favorites include the pink one Olivia wore for her Sour Prom event and the pink one she wore for her performance on Saturday Night Live.

5. Chunky chain necklaces

Layering necklaces has been in style recently, and Olivia is definitely on board with this trend. She often layers chain necklaces with smaller chokers and bigger pendants.

On her Sour album cover, Olivia has some layered necklaces, and in a recent interview with Apple Music she had a gorgeous chunky chain necklace with butterfly pendants. I think layering necklaces looks great in everyday outfits, especially with a t-shirt. The contrast of a casual tee with big, layered necklaces is such an awesome look in my opinion.

I’ve never been great at curating my own wardrobe, and have had a tough time trying to develop a sense of personal style. Having fashion role models has really helped me with fashion journey, and Olivia Rodrigo is definitely my favorite person to take fashion ideas from. When it comes down to it nothing feels better than feeling beautiful and confident in what you’re wearing.

Grace Martorano is a senior at Penn State studying Astrophysics with a passion for writing. In her free time she loves songwriting, and she plans to pursue a career in science writing after graduation.