Wellness

5 Underrated Penn State Study Spots I Visited This Week For You To Try Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

If you ask most Penn State students where they spend their time on campus between classes, many will have the same answer: the Hub. Although I love the Hub just as much as anybody else, it’s not always the greatest spot for studying. Depending on where your classes are, the Hub can be out of the way, and I personally find it hard to focus on work in such a loud, busy environment.

My laptop is also 10 years old and the battery needs servicing, which is a long-winded way of saying that its battery life lasts about 20 minutes without being plugged in. Unfortunately for me, the Hub doesn’t have enough outlets by the chairs and tables for me to work there. So basically, I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to figure out my routine and decide where I can go during my gaps between classes — with outlets.

Like a lot of students, I usually walk to campus from my apartment in the morning and just stay on campus until I’m done with all my classes and extracurriculars, which is usually around 8 p.m. This means that I have to find somewhere to hunker down between classes to eat the lunch that I pack in the morning and to work on schoolwork so that by the time I do get home, I don’t have much to worry about.

This week, I decided to have some fun and try out different buildings around campus and downtown, and thanks to my little experiment, I have some recommendations for you all. Mixing up where you spend your time each day can be really good for your mental health, so try something new this week! Studying in a nice environment really helps me retain information, and it’s fun. For your own wellness, try out some of these spaces.

Health and human development building

Penn State HHD
Original photo by Emma Hogan

The Health and Human Development Building sits at the base of the Hub Lawn, and it is such a pretty building to work in for a few hours. HHD has a very modern feel to it: lots of huge windows and futuristic-looking chairs and tables.

The great part about it is the building has several floors, each with a different color scheme, with lots of room to spread out and work. I never knew just how pretty this building was until my HDFS 315 class this semester.

At first, it caught me off guard walking in and seeing such dramatic glass stairs and fun seating. I personally love sitting up on the fourth floor, where I have a perfect view of downtown from one of the chairs by the windows. In fall, it’s so nice to see the leaves change color from your little perch at the top of the building. Just be prepared to climb up a few flights of stairs.

chambers building

Chambers Building Penn State
Original photo by Emma Hogan

As an Elementary and Early Childhood Education major, over half of my classes are in the Chambers Building, so I might be a little biased with this one. Either way, the Chambers Building has been one of my favorite spots on the west side of campus since last year.

I personally love the bridge. It overlooks a garden area with a fountain and in fall, you have a perfect view of trees that turn a flaming red/orange color. The chairs are also super comfortable, and there are outlets at every seat.

The Chambers Building will always be near the top of my list for study spots, especially since it’s such a nice central hub between all my classes. If you have any classes in Willard, Rackley, Keller, Forum or Chambers, the bridge is a great spot to go.

the reading room in the Pattee/Paterno library

Penn State Library Reading Room
Original photo by Emma Hogan

The reading room is also known as the “Harry Potter room,” and it’s one of my favorites. The reading room in the library has the classic college look: books surrounding you, lots of dark wood, and green table lamps with outlets (again, I’m a big sucker for easy access outlets). Although the stacks are the most popular spot to visit in the library, I highly recommend giving the reading room a try.

For those who might struggle to find it: come in the entrance facing Pollock (the fancy side with the turning door) and go up the stairs (left or right will work, they go to the same place). If you come up the left side, the reading room will be on your right, and if you come up the right side, the reading room will be on the left. I seriously recommend giving it — and the giant comfy napping chairs — a try.

vibe coffee co.

Vibe Coffee Co
Original photo by Emma Hogan

There are lots of adorable coffee shops downtown to study in! I love Vibe because it’s right next to my apartment building, but Elixr and Webster’s Bookstore Cafe are also amazing. Support one of our local coffee shops and hang out to study! I find the coffee shop sounds so soothing and the smell of coffee brewing is amazing.

huck life sciences building bridge

Penn State Huck Life Sciences bridge
Original photo by Emma Hogan

This bridge between the Huck Life Sciences Building and the Chemistry Building might have an actual name, but I don’t know what it is, and I know I access it from the Huck Life Sciences Building, so that’s what I’m calling it. This bridge has a really nice view of some of the prettiest trees on campus and is in a great location.

I have multiple classes as well as extracurriculars in Thomas every semester, so if you’re trying to kill time and knock out some assignments in between classes or between class and a club meeting, this bridge is the place to go. There are two levels, so lots of room for seating, and you’re only a two-minute walk from Thomas, which gives you time to work right up until class starts.

I hope you try out some of these study spots and love them as much as I do! Go get those straight As!

Emma is a third-year Elementary and Early Childhood Education major at Penn State University. When she's not writing, you can usually find her singing, reading, painting, going on walks, hanging out with friends/her incredible boyfriend, and drinking iced chai lattes. Outside of Her Campus, Emma is the President of the Penn State Singing Lions, a Students United Against Poverty Ambassador, a member of the Phi Eta Sigma honors fraternity, and works at an after-school program.