kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Tips To Help You Catch Better Z’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Sleeping can be a very complicated necessity of life that many people have trouble mastering, even into old age. A consistent, good night of sleep can show positive results in your mental and physical health. Especially as college students, we should be getting at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night, but for many students that can seem unrealistic. Here are some tips to getting the best sleep you can for when you do get it.

Try to get on a regular sleep schedule

This is key to an effective and productive amount of sleep. Make sure you are sleeping and waking up at regular times each day. It’ll help your body get into a rhythm and you might be able to go without an alarm soon enough.

Stay off of your phone!

Try not to use your phone or electronic devices at least two hours before your bedtime. The blue light on these screens trick your mind into thinking its still daytime and could disrupt your circadian rhythm. Instead, try reading a book or meditating.

Avoid caffeine and alcohol

If you’re planning to sleep within 5-7 hours, lay off the caffeine-filled drinks, as it will probably keep you rolling around in bed. Although large amounts of alcohol consumption is bad for your body in general, it is known to especially affect your sleep cycle. On the other hand, if you need help sleeping, there are some sleep-inducing teas out on the market that can help.

Fight those hunger pangs

If you’re about to go to bed, don’t eat a huge meal or spicy food. Your body needs time to digest food and a late night meal could cause heartburn, acid reflux or indigestion. Go for a small, light snack like a bowl of fruit or cereal and milk.

Clear your mind

It’s better to leave stressful tasks for the next morning. If you have something on your mind or an upcoming assignment that is causing you stress, encourage yourself to worry about it the next day. You can try journaling to expel your mind of negative, anxiety-ridden thoughts. This way, you’ll be able to sleep quickly and peacefully.

Monica is currently a Junior at Penn State University. She is studying International Media Studies with minors in Women's Studies and Korean Language. She loves traveling, spicy food, and all things Pinterest. If she were an animal, she'd be an alpaca because of her docile, yet goofy nature. Apart from writing for HC, you will most likely find her organizing her room, searching for the next song to obsess over, or pondering her next meal.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.