This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a senior, I’ve been reflecting on my time in college and the lessons that I have learned along the way. In my opinion, I have learned more about myself from experiencing life as opposed to studying textbooks and lectures into the early hours of the morning. I’m not saying that studying isn’t important, but learning about who you are is another important lesson that college can teach you if you let it. Below I’m going to be listing 5 ways that college taught me about myself. 

1. You’re not always going to be someone’s cup of tea, but that should deter you from being kind. 

Not everyone is going to be your best friend, and sometimes people just don’t get along with one another. However, you should never allow these differences to determine how kind you are to someone. You never know what another person is going through, and sometimes people just don’t click. It’s okay to keep your distance, but this is not an excuse to not be kind. 

1. You don’t have to go out just because everyone else is. Being alone is the best way to get to know yourself, and alone time is necessary for everyone. 

It’s tempting when you’re watching your roommates get ready for a night of fun, but it shouldn’t pressure you to do something you’re not feeling. However, sometimes your mind — and your liver — just isn’t ready for it. Take a night off, love yourself, and get some sleep.

1. Loving yourself does in fact allow you to love someone else. 

I never knew how true this old piece of advice was until I experienced it myself. In high school, I wasn’t even close to being my authentic self. I was in a relationship for years, but I found myself having trouble committing to the “L word”. However, when I came to Penn State and that relationship ended, I found a whole new person inside myself. Now, I don’t struggle with that word one bit. When I feel it, I say it. 

1. It feels better to help do the work in a group project as opposed to letting that one member (we all know the one) run the show. 

It’s always easier to appease the controlling group member and allow them to do all the work. However, your opinion is important, and sometimes that work you contribute can really help make the project something special. Make your voice heard, and I promise you’ll feel way more deserving of that good grade.

1. We all deserve happiness, and we all can work towards being happier.

I know the world can seem dark, the library can seem lonely, and sometimes all we want is a hug from our moms. However, I found that you need to make the most of the place you are in. Find the beauty in your walks to class, find a silver lining in a bad situation, and once again — BE KIND to one another. Karma is real and good things come to good people. You can do it; you just need to go after it and embrace it. 

Junior at Pennsylvania State University, Journalism major, Class of 2020
Bailey McBride is a Senior at Penn State University pursuing a Broadcast Journalism degree with minors in Political Science and Digital Media Trends & Analytics. She is a sister of Delta Gamma. She enjoys making hyper-organizational lists and looking at future pups to adopt. Her dream job is to be Press Secretary of the White House.