5 Political Science Classes Everyone Should Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Almost everyone was required to take a government class in high school, in which you were taught the basics of the U.S. government, such as the three branches of government and the Amendments within the Constitution. However, there is so much more to government and politics than what was covered in these courses.

Understanding political science is necessary to truly understand the world around you, and thankfully, there are many political science classes that teach about international affairs, laws, court cases, and how to do empirical research. So, here are my top five classes that you can take right here at Penn State:

1. Political Science 14: Introduction to International Relations

This is the best class I’ve taken so far at Penn State. It introduces students to the theories, concepts, and ideas used in social science efforts to better understand international politics. It’s a great introductory course, and you’re able to learn a little about everything.

Pro tip: Take this class with Dr. Douglas Lemke – he explains the material well, posts the notes online, and has a great sense of humor.

2. Political Science 3: Introduction to Comparative Politics

In this class, you’ll learn about the main types of government. Several interesting questions will be examined, such as: “Why do some democracies remain stable while others fall apart?” and “If you were able to form a government, what would it look like?” You’ll also cover Game Theory, which is a fascinating model that shows different choices people can make and the possible outcomes that can result from those choices in situations like hostage negotiations and protests.

3. Political Science 10: The Scientific Study of Politics

This class focuses on the math and science aspects of political science, so I’d highly suggest it for any student majoring in these fields that need to fulfill a GS requirement. You’ll learn about data sources and how to interpret data in graphs and tables, as well as an overview of the elements of scientific inquiry including causal explanation, empirical verification, theories and hypotheses, and dependent and independent variables. You’ll also get the opportunity to design your own experiment.

4. Political Science 130: American Political Campaigns and Elections

This class builds off of a lot of concepts that you may have already learned in a high school government class. You’ll learn about methods and strategies of American political campaigns, polls, political consultants, parties, and the media. You’ll also learn about factors that influence voter choice and learn some new things about elections.

Sneak peek example: Donald Trump was not the first presidential candidate to use the slogan “Make America Great Again.”

5. Political Science 7: Contemporary Political Ideologies

What do conservatism, feminism, and anarchism have in common? All three are analyzed in this class, where modern political ideologies are examined and student learn the basics behind how these ideologies shape politics.

Happy scheduling, collegiettes!

Abby Biernacki is a sophomore at the Pennsylvania State University. She is pursuing a major in International Politics and an Italian minor.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.