12 Tunes You Need to Add to Your Fall Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Ah, September; fall is here, the leaves are falling, and my apartment somehow seems cozier than it did in the summer. With that being said, I love curling up under a fuzzy blanket and listening to some tunes. As a collegiate, prep your Spotify playlists with these great songs.

“ex i never had” by lany

Hot girl summer is over, and if you’re anything like me, it’s time to mourn this summer’s fling. I’ve found that one of LANY’s newest tracks, “ex i never had,” is the perfect tune to lay your “situationship” to rest. Leave it to LANY to somehow break my heart and fix it simultaneously. Sigh, there’s always next summer.

“DO I wanna Know?” by Hozier

Okay, let’s talk cover songs. I usually only listen to originals, but I’ll always have a soft spot for Hozier. About a year ago, he took “Do I Wanna Know?” by the Arctic Monkeys, slowed it down, layered it, and created one hell of a cover song for our listening pleasure. If you’ve followed my articles for a while, you know how much I love this man. He is so much more than “Take Me To Church.” If you want to give him a try, check out this cover on SoundCloud and YouTube, it’ll find a special place in your heart this fall.

“Soda Stream Sky” by Powfu & Known.

I love discovering new artists. Recently, I stumbled upon Powfu and KNOWN. and may I stay, they’re absolute rock stars. The two artists collaborated on “Soda Stream Sky,” and I’m head over heels for it. The song is a great lofi tune for your playlist and a wonderful ode to the changing seasons.

“Motion Sickness” By Phoebe Bridgers

I can’t help but blast this song through my car stereo as I drive through State College. I noticed it was circulating TikTok a few months ago, so maybe you have heard it before, but it is perfect for fall. Bonus: the ghost on Bridgers’ album art adds to the fall, spooky vibes even more!

“Sarah” by Alex G

Would anyone else literally kill to have a song titled after them? Alex G’s “Sarah” makes me feel some type of way like we’re in a simulation or something. I can’t really describe it, so give it a listen yourself and let the song work its magic.

“Pieces” by Andrew Belle

I found this hidden gem a little bit ago, but all I can say is “WOW.” Andrew Belle isn’t your classic Indie Pop singer; he’s more. His song “Pieces” has been with me on countless road trips and will probably stay with me for the rest of my life.

“Ragged wood” By fleet Foxes

Fleet Foxes’ “Ragged Wood” is an indie classic and, therefore, a fall favorite. Fleet Foxes truly killed it with their self-titled album. In my opinion, the whole album is fall playlist worthy, but “Ragged Wood” has such a unique sound, I couldn’t help but give it a place in this listicle. Seriously, you’ll want to frolic through a forest while listening to this song.

“You’re The one” by Greta van fleet

This is yet another song that’s earned its rise to fame through TikTok. “You’re the One” features beautiful vocals and instrumentals — you definitely can’t pass this one up. While I would love to gate-keep GVF, I’m glad to see the band earn a spot in the hearts of young teens on TikTok.

“Hot Child in the City” By Nick Gilder

Songs of the 70s? Yes, please! “Hot Child in the City” has been a personal favorite since forever. I love popping in my AirPods, playing this song, and hopping on my bike in the morning. Let me tell you; I feel like the main character while listening to this on my bike ride to class. If you ever need a self-esteem boost this autumn, go out on a bright day, grab your sunnies, and strut your stuff to this song — it works wonders!

“All is Love” by KAren O and the Kids

I’m not a big movie girl. However, I took the time to watch “Where the Wild Things Are” per a friend’s recommendation, and I loved it. I thought the soundtrack was truly something special, and Karen O brought her A-game. “All is Love” has such a coming of age, nostalgic feel to it.

“Feathered Indians” by TYler CHilders

I know I’ve tossed a ton of indie music your way, and you’re probably ready for something different. Well folks, here it is: “Feathered Indians” by Tyler Childers is the country song of the fall. I am obsessed with this one, and you will be too. I’m telling you, don’t knock it until you try it.

“She Don’t” by Ella Mai (feat. ty dolla $ign)

I’m feeling another toss-up for number 12, so I’m going with R&B princess Ella Mai. Apple Music’s personalized radio station truly popped off with this one. “She Don’t” is spunky and all-around a fun song that is sure to help you get back to school with confidence.

The fall brings a new school year, a new season and the need for new music, am I right? There’s no better way to welcome autumn than with a warm Pumpkin Spice Latte and a well-crafted playlist. Now go and get your Apple Music ready!

Macy is a Pittsburgh, PA native with a passion for reading, writing, tree-hugging and music. She is pursuing a major in Biobehavioral Health, while double minoring in English and Sustainability Leadership on the Humanities Track. Outside of Her Campus, Macy spends her time with her golden retrievers and her camera.