Wellness

10 Self-Care Tips To Relax You After A Long Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s no secret that college is stressful for most students. With strict deadlines, endless amounts of homework and not enough sleep, it’s important to take care of yourself once in a while. Try to avoid second semester burnout by taking care of yourself and letting your body and mind recharge after a stressful week. Here are 10 ways to destress and employ self-care:

Take a hot bath.

If you have a bathtub, taking a long, hot soak is a perfect way to unwind. Put on some relaxing music, grab a book or watch your favorite movie as you sit in the tub and allow your muscles to relax. If you don’t have a tub, take a steamy shower and use some essential oils for some homemade aromatherapy.

Paint your nails.

This one might seem simple, but painting your nails can be really relaxing. I love to paint my nails while watching something on Netflix; it keeps my hands busy and I love the way a fresh coat of paint looks. There’s also something about having a fresh mani that makes you feel like you have your life together.

Read a book.

If you like to read, picking up a good book might be the perfect way to have some me-time and unplug. Consider actually buying that book you’ve been thinking about and spending some time reading something that interests you.

Get under the covers and binge a not-serious Netflix show

Netflix = bae. After a long day, watch something light-hearted and fun that will make you smile. Whether that’s The Office, Friends or something else, sometimes you need a little humor after all the work you have been doing.

Color or draw something that makes you happy

Coloring or drawing is another great way to take a breather after a difficult week. It can be nice to unwind and do something simple and mindless. Art is extremely soothing, especially when paired with some relaxing music or a nice movie.

Into skin care? Do a face mask!

Face masks are an easy way to make yourself feel pampered and relaxed after a long day. You don’t need to use an expensive face mask – anything from the drugstore will do! It’s just about taking some time for yourself to do something relaxing and fun.

Cook yourself a warm, hearty meal that tastes delicious.

Make some comfort food for yourself! Find something you love eating and try and find a recipe that seems easy. If cooking is more of a chore than a relaxing hobby, consider ordering food! You don’t even have to leave the house to get your favorite food. 

Meditate, if that’s your thing.

Meditation is a great way to relax and calm down after a difficult day. Sometimes the most important thing is to get your brain to stop moving so quickly, and meditation definitely helps with that.

Splurge a little. Buy a plant, a box of chocolates, or something that makes you really happy.

This one is pretty self explanatory. Get something small for yourself, whether that’s some of your favorite chocolates or a little plant you’ve been eyeing. You don’t have to break the bank to find something that’ll make you smile and feel pampered.

Look up some cute pictures of things that make you happy.

Whenever I’m tired or sad, I tend to go on social media to get my mind off of things. Take the time to find wholesome, light-hearted content that will make you smile. I highly recommend @dougthepug and @weratedogs for some cute puppies to make you smile.

No matter what you decide to do after a long day, just remember that self-care isn’t selfish; it’s a natural and healthy part of your mental health. Remember to treat yourself with the same respect you treat others. Enjoy the rest of your semester, collegiettes!

Nikki Melamed is currently a sophomore at Penn State University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She previously wrote articles for FreshU, one of which was republished by Teen Vogue. She also loves naps, books, dogs and writing, although she doesn't like writing about herself in the third person. In her free time, Nikki can be found reading, doing her makeup, eating way too much popcorn and listening to music.
Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team.