Resolving to Make Your 2013 Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

Why is it that we make new year’s resolutions that we can never seem to keep? How come the same momentum and optimism that we show on January 1st is lost throughout the year? Perhaps in order to keep our resolutions, we need to think ahead. Ask yourself: Do I see myself achieving this goal one year from now? Or am I going to make the same resolution next year? Here are some of the reasons resolutions fail, how to overcome them, and 2013’s most popular resolutions.

Reason #1: Your resolution is too big.
If your goal seems unreasonable, than start with something simple. You can always add more onto your resolution throughout the year. For example, if you want to stop smoking this year, then limit yourself to ‘x’ amount a day. Or if your goal is to workout everyday, then start by going to the gym once a week. You can’t slip-up right away if you start small. Over time, your resolution will seem less scary and the results will be positive. 

Reason #2: You don’t keep track.
What’s the point of having a resolution if you don’t hold yourself accountable? It’s so easy to fall behind, so it’s important to keep track of your goal when you’re mind is somewhere else. Start by keeping a journal that tracks your accomplishments from the very first day, even if that day is in September. Write down every step toward your goal no matter how small it is. When you look back at the end of the day, this will motivate you to work harder tomorrow. Also, tell your friends and family what your resolution is. Nothing is more persistent than your best friend glaring at you for eating ice cream, or your sister throwing away your pack of cigarettes. At the end of the day, keep track!

Reason #3: You lose motivation.
It’s already summer and you’ve given up on working out for that bikini-ready body. You figure you’ll just wear a one-piece and try again next year. How will your attitude be any different next year? Instead, you can regain your motivation by rewarding yourself. Psychologists use operant conditioning for a reason: it works. So, you love sweets and soda, but you hate being out of shape. You realize that in order to be healthier and better looking, you should give up sweets and soda. This will keep you on track with your goal until you are alone in your dorm with leftover Christmas cookies. Now that you’ve taken away something you love, you need to add something else you’d enjoy, a reward: “Every time I say no to eating cookies, I can do ‘x’.” This could be go shopping, have a glass of wine, go to the spa, anything that you would enjoy. This way, you don’t feel deprived and you gain back your motivation since you stayed on track!

Reason #4: You aren’t aware of your triggers.
Figuring out what causes you to give in to your bad habits is so important. If you aren’t aware of your triggers, it will be difficult to avoid a lapse in the future. According to Penn State associate professor of marketing Meg Meloy, instant gratification wins most of the time: “You set the goal of eating healthy food. Then you’re presented with all this food and the goal of eating tasty food is triggered. Which goal wins?” Meloy suggests that being mindful of your long-term goal while encountering a trigger will help you toward your resolution. 

Reason #5: You have trouble reminding yourself. 
Whether it’s intentional or not, you may not always keep your resolution in mind. If you’re extra busy or stressed out this year, a new goal to accomplish probably isn’t the first thing on your list. However, if the resolution you made is important to you and will make you happier next year, then there are several ways to remind yourself of your goal. As said before, telling friends and family will help keep you on track. If your resolution is personal, then write it down the night before and post it on your mirror. Meloy suggests that by, “continuously exposing yourself to the goal”, you will keep your resolution alive. “Find ways to trigger it in your mind,” she said. You can do this by sticking post-it notes to objects you use and see, or make a public/written commitment to yourself. Either way, you’ll remember it for that day. 

Now, you can examine where you falter, what excuses you make, and can use these tips to make your New Year’s resolution for 2013! 

Here’s a list of 2013 resolutions from celebrities according to abc news:

1. Kevin Bacon– get others to support their favorite causes through his non-profit, SixDegrees.org 
2. Melissa Joan Hart– tweeted, “My #2013 resolution is to put my cell phone down more and play with my kids as much as possible.”
3. Tori Spelling– fit into her skinny jeans and spend more time with her husband. 
4. Kevin Jonas– get back in shape. 
5. Wyclef Jean– tweeted, “Do not remain silent in the face of violence ever again. Each and every abuse is a scar on the World’s cheek.”
Lauren is a Journalism major studying at Penn State Berks for the first two years of college, then at Temple University the remaining two. She's a native of Lancaster, Pa and hopes to live in New York City after graduating. In the future, she plans to incorporate a minor of Music Technology and gear her career toward music journalism. She enjoys writing lyrics and poetry in her spare time, and works at Victoria's Secret PINK.