Sorority Recruitment: From The Outside In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

I had thought about joining a sorority for a while.

I knew that the Spring semester was the right time in my life to think about joining a sorority. I wanted to be able to make connections and make new friends on campus. So, I decided to turn a long time personal goal into a reality.

I went online to BehrendSync to find out when Spring recruitment kickoff was. I’m not going to lie, at first, it was a little intimidating doing something outside of your comfort zone, I had never been through a process like this, but it was so worth it to get out there and try something new.

Source

When you go to recruitment kickoff you first get to meet each sorority, individually. Each sorority has its own event, in separate rooms. You have a certain amount of time to get to know them, hang out, and play games with them. (Of course, there are other fun events after recruitment kickoff that allow you to get to know the sisters in each sorority a little bit better.)

At first, I’m a shy person but, all the girls in every sorority were very welcoming and friendly. They made me feel very comfortable and encouraged me to ask them any questions, doubts or comments that I had about sorority life. At that moment, I knew I wanted to continue to see what sorority life was all about it.

Each sorority hosts events after spring recruitment to get to know all of the girls better. Alpha Sigma Alpha hosted Sisters and Sundaes, Theta Phi Alpha hosted Flower Crowns and Bracelet Making, and Alpha Sigma Tau hosted Game Night. If you are interested in Greek Life, I highly encourage you to go to as many events as possible because not only it’s a great way to figure out which sorority suits you best, but it’s also a great way to make new friends.

The goal of going to these recruitment events is to get a feel as to which sorority you feel the most comfortable with. It’s important to think about where you feel that you, as a person, will be embraced and liked for who you are.  If you aren’t comfortable around the people you are with, then you obviously won’t enjoy it… Just by going to these events, you get an idea of what sorority you fit in best with.

Source

After going to some of these recruitment events, I was invited by some of the sisters in the sororities to go and have lunch with them. Each of them was very personable and wanted to get to know me better. I really appreciate the fact that they reached out to me. It was nice of them to take the time out of their busy schedules to sit down and talk with me about Greek life and what each of their sororities have to offer.

If you are interested in joining a sorority, I highly encourage you to go to recruitment night to begin the adventure. When you join a sorority you are making an investment in yourself and your future. You have to invest your time and energy but in the end, it is worth it because you will have sisters that you can count on, for the rest of your life.

Image Source(s): Giphy

Hilary Helsley

PS Behrend '22

Hi, I'm Hilary! I'm a marketing major at PSB. I love to dance, swim, and workout in my free time.
Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha