Society’s Hold on Self-Esteem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

As defined in the dictionary, self-esteem is described as confidence in one’s own worth or abilities; self-respect. Each person has their own views on self-esteem and how to deal with it.

A large part of self-esteem is body image. Body image is how we perceive our bodies visually, how we feel about our physical appearance, how we think and talk about ourselves and bodies and our sense of how other people view our bodies.

Self-esteem used to be something that never used to have a negative view attached to it. When we thought about self-esteem, we never immediately thought of all the negative aspects or feelings of ourselves. It used to be about loving all the positive things and accepting the not-so positive things about ourselves.

Unfortunately, with the rampant increase in technology, social media and news; it is getting harder and harder to accept ourselves. Everywhere you look, society is creating a “new trend”, a new way we are supposed to view ourselves, a new way to dress, act, behave; anything to modify who we are and how we view ourselves which aids in second guessing and doubting our self-worth. When we log on to all our accounts, all you see is hatred and criticism. There is barely any support and love which can take a serious toll on someone’s emotional state.

Media is strongly influencing everything we do in our lives; to wearing the latest trends, listening to the newest songs, saying certain phrases, trying new workout routines, beautification modifications- anything that strips us of almost any individuality. Some may think they are being unique individuals that deviate from the norm… but that is the new societal norm if you think about it.

It’s hard to express yourself, your feelings and your actions when society is telling you that to do so is wrong, weak or incorrect. Society has made it a taboo to speak about our feelings because “who does that?”, that’s not the “cool thing” to do. Society has made it infinitely harder for one to love themselves and love the body they were given because they have created a certain image that we are told to uphold. If we were all supposed to look a certain way, we would have all been made identical.

In a world where we can’t express ourselves without being ridiculed on Facebook, made fun of on Twitter or have our Instagram photos screenshot and sent for criticism in group chats, self-esteem has plummeted. In places we once found solace in sharing who we really are, what we enjoy and how we feel, we are being destroyed by societal norms.

To boost our self-esteem, we need to accept who we are and stop criticizing others. We need to break the societal norms that make us all carbon copies motoring through on an assembly line lacking individuality and originality. We need to sit with friends, families and strangers alike and TALK to them, see how they actually feel. To understand, that the opinions and views of others do not dictate my self worth or acceptance of myself is crucial. The only person we should be seeking approval from is ourselves. Start each day with “you are beautiful”, “you are smart”, “you are kind”, “you ARE worth it”; because you are. Everyone is.

Image Credits: 1 2 4 5

Brittany is a senior Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior major with a minor in Communications in Art & Mass Media. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and Lion Ambassadors. She is the Coordinator of Publicity for Project Paws and Event Planning Chair for our very own HerCampus. Brittany LOVES to craft in her spare time and is quite the animal and nature lover. Instagram: brittanyt6 Twitter: @brittany_t6
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.