This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

All parents want is the best for their children but what is the best? Some think that that means feeding children only organic foods. Others may think the best thing thing to do is pack their children’s schedules with sports. Many actually believe that the best thing to do is surround them with “the best kinds of children” and enter them into private school.

I did not go to a private school, however, many of my relatives have attended private Catholic schools their entire lives. Some of them loved it and couldn’t imagine going through public schooling. Others felt like they missed out on certain school traditions, especially in high school, and that the students weren’t as diverse as they liked it. I also know many people who have experienced both public and private school at different times.

Although I personally did not want to go to private school, there are many benefits from it. Private schools, because they have more money, can afford nicer facilities, better school supplies and more access to up-to-date computers. They also usually have have smaller class sizes so that students can get more personal time with things they need help with. The biggest reason why people are entered into these schools, however, is because of the prestige. This is also the reason why students are entered starting in preschool. The idea is that if children go to a great private preschool, they will get into a great private elementary school then so on till they get into schools like Princeton and Harvard. Another really big reason that parents move towards privates is because of the conformity. Many of the institutions have very strict guidelines on the types of students they let in. Some of these guidelines include race, social status and religion. Many parents like the idea of their children being around childrens with similar backgrounds.

Even though private schools have their benefits, so do public schools. One of the biggest, more obvious benefits is that it is free. Although some private schools can start out at a low $7,000 a year, others go up to almost $45,000. Public schools also require that all teachers have actual teaching degrees, rather than private schools who can hire whomever they see fit. Public schools are also great for students who want to be involved in many different organizations. Because there are a lot more students, there is a lot more diversity in clubs, sports and other extracurriculars. The biggest reason why I love public school, is because of the student diversity. Growing up, I had friends of different races, religions, sexual orientations and social statuses. Because I was around so many different people I was able to learn about their beliefs and their culture. I also was able to learn about other people’s perspectives, which has helped me empathize with people who are in different situations than I am in.

Like I said before, there are definitely people who loved both their private school and public school experience, however, before enrolling really think about the pros and cons of each. Private school sounds great, but is it worth the thousands of dollars? Does it REALLY help you get into the best colleges? Why wouldn’t you want to expose your children to diversity? Public school is convenient, but does your child need that more one-on-one help? Do you want them to be in a more academically competitive environment? School is a very big decision and it is the beginning of a very long and important path for children, so research and learn before you jump in and do what you think is the best.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4

Sorya Nasir

PS Behrend

Native of Santa Clara, CA Senior at Penn State Behrend Management Information Systems Major HerCampus PS Behrend, President Alpha Sigma Alpha
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.