No Thanks-Given for Dietary Resitrictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Holidays are always a treacherous time for those of us with food restrictions. There are many things that constitute as a food restriction, some as severe as allergies and those can really wreak havoc on the entire day. There a bunch of different allergies and restrictions that people have like lactose intolerance, peanut allergy, egg allergy, wheat, rye, barley, which is not the same as a gluten allergy (fun fact), soy, shellfish, and then there are those that are vegan or vegetarian.

Gluten:

This allergy means that the affected people are not able to consume things that have gluten in them. There is a wide variety of things this could mean but it mostly means anything with flour in it is out of the question. No cakes, donuts, and most importantly stuffing. There are alternatives that actually do taste quite yummy but it never will be the same as being able to pour gravy all over the stuffing and potatoes at dinner.

Egg and Lactose:

Both of these ingredients are commonly used throughout the day on Thanksgiving. Eggs are a common ingredient in most desserts, which could make that yummy apple pie one hell of a time later on in the day. Lactose is also a bit of a rough intolerance to have, seeing as most people use milk to bind the mashed potatoes and some use it to give the turkey that extra special sheen.

Nut:

Nuts are a danger zone for so many people. Some can have adverse reactions, like anaphylactic shock that can lead to death if not treated right away, while others have reactions like migraines that render them useless for the day. Nuts are always a topping on some sort of dessert and even on the sweet potatoes at times.

Wheat/Rye/Barley:

This is kind of like gluten but at the same time, it’s not. People are allergic to specific strands and not to others. Which makes other people’s cooking and family holidays a field of landmines. There could be rye bread of some sort but there could also be normal bread and you have to just pick your battles and stick with the potatoes.

Vegan/Vegetarian:

These poor people do not eat meat, and those that are vegan do not eat any kind of animal products. Thanksgiving is basically a new level of Dante’s Inferno, unless they bring their own tofurky.

Overall allergies suck, they are a pain and make life and eating quite complicated. What has worked very well in my household is game plans. My mom and I sit down the day before and work out a plan of things that are able to mix and things that cannot. Communication is honestly the best course of action in these times of the year, that way everyone can have a safe and yummy turkey day.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Alicia Matos

PS Behrend

Avid napper and lover of all things travel related. Penn State Behrend
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.