My OWN Carrie Bradshaw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

For some reason the grass always ends up being greener on the other side. Despite how we strive to be strong and independent women, there may always be that one person we think “I want to be like her.” Now, I try to always remain positive and find the perfect imperfection in my life but even I have been guilty of saying those exact six words. With that being said, my fixation was on the very fictional but ever so fabulous Carrie Bradshaw.

She was everything I was striving to be – a writer living her own life in the heart of New York City. While I was binge watching Sex and the City one day (out of the many) I said to myself “I want to be Carrie Bradshaw.” Immediately after having this thought I froze – why would I want to be someone else? I know that sometimes I have bad days or things don’t go exactly as planned but life doesn’t come with a schedule.

I know what I am capable of and what hard work I have been putting in to get to where I want to go, so why would I want the life of a fictional character? But only moments after having these thoughts I realized I don’t want to be Carrie. I took a second and remembered that I don’t want to be anyone other than myself – I want to be my OWN “Carrie Bradshaw.” Instead of trying to be an imitation of someone else, I want to build and design the life that I want, by myself. The more I have that thought of wanting someone else’s present as my future in my head, the less driven I will be to actually work for what I want. We all do some soul searching from time to time, but at the end of the day I know who I am. I don’t work this hard to belittle all that I do with wanting someone else’s life as my ultimate goal. We can like aspects of other people’s lives and realize we wouldn’t mind doing something similar, but never settle for anyone else’s goals but your own.

I, as well as you, are too important to settle for being anyone else but ourselves. So I say do not strive to be Carrie Bradshaw, no matter how fabulous she really is, strive to be your OWN Carrie Bradshaw.

Gif Credits: 1 2 3

Image: 1

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.