This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

P.S. I Love Me

P.S. I (am learning to) Love Me

Self-love… where do I start? It’s f*cking hard to love yourself. It’s hard being secure, confident, not compare yourself to others, the list goes on and on.

On a daily basis, I check social media, looking for “inspiration” but truly just seeing what I am not and what I lack. Social.media is not the only reason, everyone compares themselves throughout life but it helps a lot of people compete, succeed in life. Self-love may come in different forms but it’s crucial to our mental state.

Here are a few tips I’ve learned along the way that help me:

Practice Self-care

Taking care of yourself will not only help you feel good physically but mainly will help you better your mental health.

How? Fulfil your basic needs, such as good and healthy nutrition, a full night of sleep (7-8 hours), healthy activities/ exercise, healthy relationships, pamper yourself and more. Making yourself feel good will boost up your confidence and productivity.

Put Yourself First

Surround yourself with good people, who protect your mental state, who support you and inspire you. Do not waste time to on people who make you feel bad about yourself, make you doubt that you’re enough and bring you down. It might seem as wrong task but bringing right people into your life will stimulate you to live a better life.

Forgive Yourself

Being able to realize your mistakes and accept your situation is a key to moving forward. Do not punish yourself by dwelling what already happens, learn and grow from it. Lesson learned.

Stop Comparing Yourself To Other

Find what you’re good at and embrace it, hobbies, skills, interests, etc. Embracing yourself will help you find your passion and create your happy place.

And finally,

Know Your Boundaries

This applies to many factors. Do not overload yourself, stop and take a break when you feel overwhelmed. Routine can seem consuming, make sure you consider what works for you and it is what you need not always what you want.

Also, say no to a bad situation that will impact you negatively. It might seem like a good way to spend your time but will it benefit you in a long term plan.

Sources:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/finding-love/201105/how-love-yourself-first

Maryna Khokhlova

PS Behrend '19

Born in Dnipro, Ukraine. Currently live in Erie, PA. Senior at Penn State Behrend International Business BS Marketing BS Alpha Sigma Alpha, Member
Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx