jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Doing Something for Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

This past semester has been one of the toughest for me mentally and emotionally. I finally decided to do something for myself this semester and I got a piercing. Not just any piercing, but two. I got my nipples pierced. 

Now, before you start thinking about how crazy and painful it must have been, let me explain myself. 

Image from: https://campfire.org/blog/article/self-care-is-far-from-selfish/

I’m not necessarily the most confident girl in the world, and that isn’t a secret. I can stand up for myself when needed so I have the emotional confidence needed to take care of myself. But, in reality, I do not have the best relationship with my body nor my appearance. My least favorite part about myself arguably is my chest area. 

The best way to put it is that I hate the shape of my breasts and I am not the biggest fan of the size of them. They can be a nuisance more often than not, and have caused me a great deal of pain over the years. 

So why would I get them pierced? 

A lot of people get their nipples pierced for the aesthetic value or for the thrill of the sensitivity increasing. 

Image from: https://fcs.org/2019/07/05/self-care-for-educators/

I got mine pierced because I wanted to do something special for my chest. I wanted to remind myself that I am worthy of self love and worthy of self confidence. I pierced my nipples, not because everyone and their mother have them done, but because I wanted to be able to confidently say that I love something about myself. 

The minute the piercing was finished I fell in love with my chest all over again. The love disappeared around 9th grade when their size started to become a problem. Once they were pierced, I felt so much self love and happiness I knew it was worth the higher price tag. 

What I’m getting at here, is don’t always assume that the easiest solution to making yourself feel better includes normal, basic, average things. 

If you don’t like a part of your body, pierce it, tattoo it, kiss it, heck even sing to it. Do whatever YOU think you should do for yourself, and heck what anyone has to say about it.

Ramsey Struble

PS Behrend '21

Penn State Behrend//Biology Pre-Optometry